Dried elderberry and banana wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_8

new to beer brewing
Reaction score
Hi all I have just put a 2 gallon batch of dried elderberry and banana wine it's been fermenting on the fruit for about 4 days now start so was 1096 it's now down to about 1000 it's been in my brew fridge at a constant temperature of 22 to 23 deggs I'm thinking that, it seems to have fermented a bit quick is that normal when making country wine I hope it turns out we will see, it was an old recipe and it was suppose to fErnest on the fruit for 10 days then strain and rack I to demiJohn's

That sounds like a fantastic wine, recipe please, pretty please :grin:

The constant warm temp will make it ferment quicker, and 4 days is quick, but if the hydrometer says it nearly finished then who are we to argue, did you taste it?

No I've not tasted it yet been too busy with the family today but things should get back to normal now had a good time over the festive season but it's good to get back to normal, will keep you posted all the best for 2016 to everbody on the forum

I added Kwik clear to my wine 4 days ago and checked it today there is a layer of sediment on the bottom of both demijohns but the wine is still really dark and has not cleared as much as would have thought, should I rack the wine tomorrow and give it another shot with the Kwikclear or is this wine going to turn out really dark anyway.
I am going to store is for 6 months anyway before sampling it

Put a sample in a glass to see if its clear but just dark, its hard to tell with darker coloured wines in a DJ.
If it is cloudy still it could be pectin haze so add a little pectolase to your sample and see if that helps clear it.

I may just do that and if after 6 months it's still not clear I can add kwickclear again thanks

Yes I used the skins and the pulp may just have to rack and store it for 6 months

Bananas will take a long time to clear and also contain a lot of starch. Did you use any amylase?

Back