Wyeast 1469

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
So as not to continue to hijack Halfacrem's brewday thread I'll start my own

As I mentioned in Halfacrem's thread:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60239

I made a 2L starter in a 5L DJ and put some 1469 in there after culturing it up from one of my own bottles of porter. After about 3-4 hours the head space had nearly filled with krausen. I kept swirling it back into the starter wort but it didn't take long for it to regrown. Before I went to bed I attached a blow off tube to the DJ with the other end in a jar of star san.

In the morning the star san jar had a layer of yeast about 1/2 cm thick (about 20ml of yeast). I've never seen such pure harvested yeast it is snowy white. As this was now in the starsan jar and not in my starter it wouldn't be going into my wort. So for a short while I considered rinsinng it out of the star san with some boiled and cooled water then pour it back into the DJ. But I'm unsure whether the yeast will still be alive after sitting under star san for several hours.

I will transfer everything from the DJ into some jars so the yeast can sit in the fridge for 24-48 hours to crash out of the spent wort. Depending on how much yeast I've got I will either pitch it into my next brew or put it into another 2L starter/step up. If I put it into another 2L step up I will attach my 'krausen collection jar' that I made to the other end of the blow off tube, fill it with boiled and cooled water and any krausen that ends up in there I should be able to decant off the water and pour it back into the DJ so I don't lose all that lovely yeast. The is one lively yeast strain

You guys are lucky. In Japan they only sale 3 kinds of yeast. S04&5 and 33!! I'm trying to find some craft beers here that has used other strains and grow them.
MyQ, that is one aggressive yeast!! You harvested it from a bottle? And it took off that fast??? Nice!!!

You guys are lucky. In Japan they only sale 3 kinds of yeast. S04&5 and 33!! I'm trying to find some craft beers here that has used other strains and grow them.
MyQ, that is one aggressive yeast!! You harvested it from a bottle? And it took off that fast??? Nice!!!

I harvested from my own bottle of porter then did 4 step ups 2x250ml then 2x2L. The 2L ones had huge krausens. The first almost got out of the bottle and the second needed a blow off tube

Latest posts

Back