Licorice Stout/Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm fancying a Licorice Stout or Porter, but cant seem to find any definitive info regarding the Licourice.

How much to add to a 5 gallon brew and how to reduce the thick tar like blocks, laces, or cakes in to a liquid. I'd imagine boiling it before adding it to a brew, but never really tried this. ??

Never used actual liquorice but I have done a Rye Porter that used Crystal Rye and this did give a hint of liquorice to the taste, might be worth considering as an addition to the recipe....

The wife is off work this week, she knows all the best places to buy the black stuff, so I'm going to experiment with melting/disolving.

Bless her, she's already come back with two bags.
I have a dozen small pieces in a pan as we speak, and I can confirm that it does indeed melt.
Now just need to determine how much to add for a subtle flavour and at wahat part of the brew.

I've got some licorice root that I'm going to use to make a 'tea' that I'll use to lace a porter that I've already made. If that works I'll try adding the tea to the beer during racking on a future brew. Hopefully I'll get onto that later the week.

I think I'll be brewing the porter this weekend, so hopefully, someone will come back with a definitive answer between now and then.

My LHBS didn't have a brewers licorice stick, so I boiled 6 pieces of soft confectionary licorice.
The porter has all but fininshed fermenting, so i've taken the liberty of sneaking a taste.

Not a single hint that licorice has been within 5 miles.

I would try using a piece of liquorice root, which you can buy from health shops. Some people use star anise too, apparently.

I used pure liquorice pellets called Nipits, in a porter, they dissolve in hot water. I used 1/4 tsp in 5l, I would at least double that if I did it again. The liquorice flavour was there but very subtle.

Hi!
If it's a stout you're after, try using black treacle as one of your fermentables, along with your liquorice.
I used a tin when tweaking a Scottish heavy kit and it gives a definite liquorice flavour in the background, but it did produce a very dark beer.
I have also used Holland and Barrett malt extract, which also leaves a subtle liquorice flavour, but makes a darker beer.
I wonder whether adding the liquorice after fermentation would strengthen the flavour, almost like a dry hop?

Latest posts

Back