Coffee Stout/Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've often thought I'd like to try adding coffee flavour to a dark beer. I now find myself with a regular supply of coffee machine grounds [nights in a hotel where one pf the jobs is cleaning the coffee machine and t he used grounds only end up in the bin]. I was wondering how much is added and when in the brewing sequence?

Have a read through this thread;

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/st-peters-cream-stout.79414/#post-1184378
I've done the St Peters Cream Stout kit twice now and both times added coffee. Absolutely superb pint - I've still got a couple left one year on from brewing the last one and if anything, it's become even better with age.

EDIT: just read your post again and noticed you mention grounds. Someone may well correct me, but surely the grounds have already had most of the coffee goodness squeezed out of them?

I like a well flavoured stout and even though I have pushed the limits in terms of amounts, my experience is that it still only give a faint flavour.
This won't be particularly useful to your use case, as I haven't used spent grounds, but I'd imagine needing more / to steep more / longer.

I dry hopped my last porter with whole bean's. It takes a long time to condition out and for me the coffee is too dominant. I used a 227g, dry hopped for 4 days at low temp

Latest posts

Back