AG Brew #2 - Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

Reaction score
Being a complete newbie to this, for my second brew, I thought I'd try to do a simple brew with just a few ingredients.

However, after thinking about it some more, I got a bit worried it wouldn't taste of much, so I paid a visit to my local HB shop, and with a little advice from clibit, I picked up a few extra ingredients.

After reading a few different methods and recipes, this is what I went with:

1kg Maris Otter
250g Crystal Malt

10g Fuggles @ Boil Start
5g Goldings @ 15mins
5g Goldings @ 5mins

Irish Moss @ 15min

I really don't have much idea on what I'm doing, so I perhaps went overboard on the Crystal Malt, but we'll see.

Mashed in 4l of water in my Stock Pot at ~65C for one hour. I put all the grains in a small muslin bag, which made things much easier.

I popped the grain bag in a sieve above a 10l tub, and ran the wort back through it. Then put the grains in another 4l of water at 65C for 20 minutes before again draining into the tub.

Boiled the now ~7l of water for 60 minutes, I lost a lot through evaporation, leaving me with 4l of wort.

Into the sink to cool, which took about 40 minutes. Once cool, I passed it back through the sieve and into the demijohn, topped up with some boiled and cooled water to 4.5l.

Original Gravity reading (after the extra 500ml of water) was 1.064.

Pitched the M07 yeast I had, and put into the cupboard to ferment.

You probably have gone a bit overboard with the crystal at 20% of the total grain bill, that's about the most you would want to use. 5% -10% is perhaps a more typical amount, but hey, see what it turns out like. It'll be sweet with a very syrupy mouthfeel. Adjust next time.

Haven't checked details of the ibus you'll get from the hops, but im planning a very similar small batch (I'm experimenting with water treatment) and the weights look very similar. With an og of 1060+ and that much crystal you'll need good bitterness levels, at least 30, maybe 40 ibus, or the sweetness of the malt will drown out the bitterness of the hops. Plug the hop weights, boil timings and alpha acid contents into an online calculator like Brewers friend and it'll tell you what ibu you can expect.

You probably have gone a bit overboard with the crystal at 20% of the total grain bill, that's about the most you would want to use. 5% -10% is perhaps a more typical amount, but hey, see what it turns out like. It'll be sweet with a very syrupy mouthfeel. Adjust next time.

Haven't checked details of the ibus you'll get from the hops, but im planning a very similar small batch (I'm experimenting with water treatment) and the weights look very similar. With an og of 1060+ and that much crystal you'll need good bitterness levels, at least 30, maybe 40 ibus, or the sweetness of the malt will drown out the bitterness of the hops. Plug the hop weights, boil timings and alpha acid contents into an online calculator like Brewers friend and it'll tell you what ibu you can expect.

According to the Brewsmith app I have on my phone, it could out at 40.6 IBUs (if I have everything setup correctly!).

I don't know why I changed to 250g, I had it set to 100g for quite a while in the app.

I guess the beauty of these small batches, is that if it isn't great, I am not left with 40 pints of undrinkable ale!

I am making lots of notes as I go through each brew, so I can repeat things if they work, and modify them if they don't.

This is how it looked at lunchtime when I popped home.

It's a bit lively, and even though I sieved it into the demijohn, there are a lot of solids in there, moving around frantically.

20160215_121225.jpg

This is how it looked at lunchtime when I popped home.

It's a bit lively, and even though I sieved it into the demijohn, there are a lot of solids in there, moving around frantically.

Looks like a very normal healthy brew! Now just leave it alone for two weeks!

Looks good. The solids will settle out in a couple of days once the initial phase of fermentation has passed. Then you just have to wait. Keep us posted.:thumb:

Looks like a very normal healthy brew! Now just leave it alone for two weeks!

Cheers for confirming it's nothing to worry about, the first one didn't quite go like this.

It's funny, the waiting isn't a problem for me. My first brew's fermentation period seemed to fly by.

Cheers for confirming it's nothing to worry about, the first one didn't quite go like this.

It's funny, the waiting isn't a problem for me. My first brew's fermentation period seemed to fly by.

No two brews ever look the same tbh. That's why I just shut the fv and forget about it. As log as your temp control is reasonable there's no real reason to interject.

The one time I did panic was when I used wyeast wiestaphaner yeast and the bloody thing was erupting out of the fv. Stunk to high hell as well, I was convinced something had gone horribly wrong. All perfectly normal. Turned out to be a very nice wheat beer in the end.

Think my girlfriend will hit the roof if (when) that happens. Ah well.

My next plan is to look into a wheat beer with orange and coriander, a Blue Moon clone as it's her favourite beer, hopefully that'll get me some good credit!

So it's been at 1.018 for a bit now, so I'm bottling it today.

Back