Nelson/Galaxy pale ale - win a bottle!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
Since I've been fortunate enough to win the last two of Dad_of_Jon's 'who knows' competitions, I wanted to offer a bottle of my next brew in a similar comp, to share the beer around a bit.

That brewday was yesterday so here it is - same rules apply - Open to anyone. Guess the OG and FG and the closest guess gets a bottle delivered to the UK, EIRE or Northern Ireland address of their choice.

Get your guesses in & good luck :cheers:

27/03/16
Nelson's Intergalactic Delight - (loosely based on Dennis King's Galaxy Delight recipe)
My normal BIAB method - 90min mash - 60 min boil

5.4kg maris otter
0.6kg Vienna malt
0.12kg aromatic malt

1st wort addition = 10g Nelson Sauvin & 10g Galaxy
10 min addition = 20g Nelson Sauvin, 20g Galaxy & 15g El Dorado (to bring the IBU:OG ratio similar to DK's original recipe.)

+ planning on 20g each Nelson & Galaxy for dry hopping.

Ended up with 25 litres
Using MJ West Coat ale yeast.

Since I've been fortunate enough to win the last two of Dad_of_Jon's 'who knows' competitions, I wanted to offer a bottle of my next brew in a similar comp, to share the beer around a bit.

That brewday was yesterday so here it is - same rules apply - Open to anyone. Guess the OG and FG and the closest guess gets a bottle delivered to the UK, EIRE or Northern Ireland address of their choice.

Get your guesses in & good luck :cheers:

27/03/16
Nelson's Intergalactic Delight - (loosely based on Dennis King's Galaxy Delight recipe)
My normal BIAB method - 90min mash - 60 min boil

5.4kg maris otter
0.6kg Vienna malt
0.12kg aromatic malt

1st wort addition = 10g Nelson Sauvin & 10g Galaxy
10 min addition = 20g Nelson Sauvin, 20g Galaxy & 15g El Dorado (to bring the IBU:OG ratio similar to DK's original recipe.)

+ planning on 20g each Nelson & Galaxy for dry hopping.

Ended up with 25 litres
Using MJ West Coat ale yeast.

Hi Dan, sounds great!

Gonna go for 1.049 and 1.009 as you have 25 liters. I used the MJ west coast in both bottles you've won.

Hi Dan, sounds great!

Gonna go for 1.049 and 1.009 as you have 25 liters. I used the MJ west coast in both bottles you've won.

I did end up a litre more than planned - haven't quite got the starting volume nailed down for when using pellets only.

Its bubbling away nicely this morning, and I'm hoping that the 19L that goes into a corny might just be ready for my 40th b'day BBQ at the start of May

Still undecided about the dry hopping for this one.
I've been using considerably more than 40g total in some recent brews, but wanted to stick quite close to the original (very tasty) recipe's, all galaxy, hopping schedule.
Using just 20g of each of the Nelson & galaxy for dry hopping would also mean I have 50g of each left for a similar brew.
Mmm, decisions, decisions.

Latest posts

Back