Nelson/Galaxy pale ale - win a bottle!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still undecided about the dry hopping for this one.
I've been using considerably more than 40g total in some recent brews, but wanted to stick quite close to the original (very tasty) recipe's, all galaxy, hopping schedule.
Using just 20g of each of the Nelson & galaxy for dry hopping would also mean I have 50g of each left for a similar brew.
Mmm, decisions, decisions.

you can never have too much galaxy hops in your brew.....

.... as you'll discover when I send your prize over to you. :lol:

you can never have too much galaxy hops in your brew.....

.... as you'll discover when I send your prize over to you. :lol:

That's pretty much what I was thinking (can't wait to try the prize).
No so sure about the Nelson Sauvin though? I haven't used it in such a big proportion before and don't want to over do it.

I'm gonna be racking this into the carboy tonight, to make way for tomorrows brew.

So you've still got about a week to get your guesses in before its bottled.

I've decided to increase the dry hops after all and think I'll go with:-

40g Galaxy
30g Nelson

:cheers:

The beer is now kegged/bottled, so I can close the comp and reveal the results.

The OG was 1.055
Giving me 72-75% efficiency depending on which software I look at.

The FG was 1.011
Which is approx. 79% attenuation according to beersmith

Finished with 22.5 litres at 5.8% ABV

So in reverse order:-

In joint third place, all just 4 points off with there guesses were:

Demig
wfr42
beechwood
IainM
TheRedDarren

:thumb:

In 1st place, with a guess that was an impressive 1 point different from results, congratulations goes to:-

JonD_87

:hat:

Well done!

I'll send you a pm to get the delivery info and post the beer in a few weeks when its had a chance to carb up.

In 1st place, with a guess that was an impressive 1 point different from results, congratulations goes to:-

JonD_87

:hat:

Well done!

I'll send you a pm to get the delivery info and post the beer in a few weeks when its had a chance to carb up.

with a score that close I tend to check for hidden webcams :-)

nice job dan.

Cracking guess, I'm happy being 4 off but JonD is a force to be reckoned with! Or he's stalking you

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only :wink: - Click here

Quick update on this brew.

The bottles are conditioning away in the brew fridge above the FV, and the sacrificial plastic bottle is firming up nicely:-

Not long to wait now JonD_87 !

I mainly brewed this beer to keg & share with friends at a BBQ on Sunday (we'll be lucky looking at the weather), and I had the 1st pint out of the kegerator tonight to see how its coming along:-

Still a bit of chill haze, which I hope will clear a bit in the next few days, but its pretty good. Bitter and fruity and the NS seems to come through more (to my very amateur taste) as I get further down the pint.

I'm glad I increased the dry hopping a bit as its most definitely hop forward without being silly, but I like hoppy beers so might be biased.

Quick update on this brew.

The bottles are conditioning away in the brew fridge above the FV, and the sacrificial plastic bottle is firming up nicely:-

Not long to wait now JonD_87 !

I mainly brewed this beer to keg & share with friends at a BBQ on Sunday (we'll be lucky looking at the weather), and I had the 1st pint out of the kegerator tonight to see how its coming along:-

Still a bit of chill haze, which I hope will clear a bit in the next few days, but its pretty good. Bitter and fruity and the NS seems to come through more (to my very amateur taste) as I get further down the pint.

I'm glad I increased the dry hopping a bit as its most definitely hop forward without being silly, but I like hoppy beers so might be biased.

I prize the haze. It's fashionable.

Latest posts

Back