Youngs yorkshire bitter kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxxyjazz

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a youngs yorkshire bitter kit I am going to knock up. I've never used this kit before, or any youngs kit for that matter. Are they any good?

The recipe calls for 1.5kg of sugar. I was thinking of 1kg of brewing sugar and the rest denemara or DME. Maybe even a tad more to give it a little more ommpfh.

M

Hi,

I have a youngs yorkshire bitter kit I am going to knock up. I've never used this kit before, or any youngs kit for that matter. Are they any good?

The recipe calls for 1.5kg of sugar. I was thinking of 1kg of brewing sugar and the rest denemara or DME. Maybe even a tad more to give it a little more ommpfh.

M
Hi take a look in the A-Z guide, might help decide.

My first kit was a mild and i did it with all brewing sugar. It was ok, pretty bland and thin. Since then i have experimented more and more and certainly using all spray malt or half spraymalt and half youngs beer enhancer makes a far better kit brew. Nothing to stop you using a proportional amount of brown or demerera sugar if you want to, black treacle or golden syrup, depending on what kit it is.

Hi,

M

I would use more DME or liquid malt than Dextrose to boost the malt since the kit only has 1.5kg (rather than 1.7 or 1.8kg for other one can kits). You could also brew short.

Cheers. I'll probs brew it short and use a mix of dme and dextrose.

I don't usually do kit beers as I do partial extract. But, I've just up scaled all my kit to all grain. Trying to buy a 2.4kw element for my hlt. So in the mean time I thought I'd make this kit.

M

So I made the kit last night. I put in 1kg of dextrose, 600g of Demerara and 100g (ish) of light DME. Just used up some open packets basically. Gave me a OG of 1056 so if I get to the target gravity the kit recommends it'll be around 6.7%. Probs a bit strong but as I said, I'm just using stuff up.

Back