Another fermentation fridge question... which heater?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lahoski

Reaction score
So I brew small batches fermenting in demijohns. I have a small tabletop freezer I intend to use as a fermentation chamber - I can fit two demijohns in so it's pretty much perfect.

I need to find a solution for heating... the space in the freezer has the following dims in mm (HxWxD)
150 x 340 x 140
I want to find something that provides sufficient wattage without risking scorching the top/walls of the freezer.

Would a tube heater be okay if it is small enough? Or would some kind of fancy arrangement of a heat cable be better? I'm guessing for that kind of volume I'm only looking at a v low wattage requirment (maybe ~10W)?

One thought is that I might try a method of souring that requires culturing lactobacillus from yogurt - so it needs to be able to heat the chamber to approx 40*C if possible...

Or a ceramic bulb holder and infra red ceramic bulb. That's what's in mine

dip a low wattage incandescant light bulb im mat black paint perhaps?

motorcycle handgrip heating pads are basically 6" square film heat radiators that run off dc voltage ;)

or you can source heating flex for heating reptile enclosures that you could tape to the freezer walls..

one thing you dont mention is a fan?

as the air contained in the freezer is the medium of heat exchange between the heating and cooling and your demijons of valuable beer moving it around with a fan will improve the efficiency no end.

a small pc dc voltage fan powered by a redundant phone charger is ideal.

run the fan 24/7 when using the brewfridge.

if you buy a commercial fridge or a high end domestic fridge you will invariably find a fan inside :)

Latest posts

Back