If you prefer ... dead yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthwormgaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Ay up,

I'm just pouring a bottle of The Kernel Brewery, Export India Porter. It's 5.8%, and very hoppy it seems, quite nice.

Anyway, on the back, it says "this beer is bottle conditioned, pour carefully if you prefer to leave the yeast sediment inside the bottle".

Is it a preference thing? Do some of you drink it?

I was under the impression that drinking yeast gave you the ****s, and was to be avoided. So the sludge off bottle conditioned bottles, or ale that hasn't fully fermented yet?

Ay up,

I'm just pouring a bottle of The Kernel Brewery, Export India Porter. It's 5.8%, and very hoppy it seems, quite nice.

Anyway, on the back, it says "this beer is bottle conditioned, pour carefully if you prefer to leave the yeast sediment inside the bottle".

Is it a preference thing? Do some of you drink it?

I was under the impression that drinking yeast gave you the ****s, and was to be avoided. So the sludge off bottle conditioned bottles, or ale that hasn't fully fermented yet?

On the continent we swirl the yeast up in the bottle and drink it. It's a total ritual...but too many and you **** though the eyemof a needle :-?

Before I brewed I never even was aware of it and up ended many bottles.

I remember on a St Austells Proper Job seeing lots of floating particles and thinking what is all that?

Like swiss says a lot of well wheat beers in particular they roll the bottle or swish the trub in at the end.. not sure whether I am going to try that yet though..

Before I brewed I never even was aware of it and up ended many bottles.

I remember on a St Austells Proper Job seeing lots of floating particles and thinking what is all that?

Like swiss says a lot of well wheat beers in particular they roll the bottle or swish the trub in at the end.. not sure whether I am going to try that yet though..

Yup, roll the bottle, swish, swirl, roll...think of all the vitamins and get it down ya. Tastes nice..but now I have this gout image in my head :-?

I think it can give you gout @slid can fill you in a bit more on this

Yes, well, unfortunately the root cause of gout is a diet high in chemical compounds known as purines. These are formed naturally as a by-product of anaerobic respiration. A rather obvious example of which would be fermenting yeast.

So, I would not deliberately increase the number of yeast cells ingested. I am sure my initial habit of drinking the yeasty bit at the bottom of bottles led to my issues with gout. Would not wish it on anyone, so please beware.

Good God no! Beer has got to be star-bright! Not sure if yeasty stuff is bad for you though. Don't brewers sell it off to make Marmite amongst other things? I've never heard of that causing intestinal shenanigans.

Back