Rhubarb wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudy

Reaction score
Just done some rhubarb wine and followed recipe from Internet...looks nothing like it shows and just had a little taste as it's gone all clear in demijohn.....eghhhhh tastes of nothing...can i add some rhubarb flavouring...but can only find rhubarb and custard lol..or even add any concentrated flavour to make it taste even drinkable

Just done some rhubarb wine and followed recipe from Internet...looks nothing like it shows and just had a little taste as it's gone all clear in demijohn.....eghhhhh tastes of nothing...can i add some rhubarb flavouring...but can only find rhubarb and custard lol..or even add any concentrated flavour to make it taste even drinkable

oh dear :-(

You could add something to it I suppose, but if you're adding anything that has sugar in it, you'll need to stop fermentation first, otherwise it'll just start up again (unless that's the plan) :grin:

Difficult to get a good rhubarb wine IHMO, but its ace for mixing in with other things to add body - nowadays I freeze the rhubarb from the garden (assuming that I cant be bothered to make crumble) and add it in with other things - Rose Hip & Rhubarb works for me.

That's a bit weird mine always tastes very strongly of rhubarb what recipe did you use ?
Never used it myself but maybe use a lowicz syrup to give it some flavour ?

I typed into Google how to make rhubarb wine, and got it off there. Iv now ordered some rhubarb flavouring to see if it works

First time I made it the result was more like a dry white wine than anything else. If you tasted it blind you may have struggled to identify it as rhubarb. Pleasant enough though.

Second lot I made didn't fully ferment and ended up rather too sweet for my tastes, almost like a dessert wine, though with this one the rhubarb flavour is more prevalent.

Guess a lot of it depends on how flavoursome your rhubarb is to begin with and may vary if it's picked early or late in the growing season.

Just checked my recipe for 1 gallon - 3lb rhubarb, 3lb sugar, 1 cup of strong cold black tea, sachet of wine yeast. Add a crushed campden tablet when it has finished fermenting and leave to clear before racking into bottles.

I used 3lb rhubarb. 3 lb sugar and 250ml grape concentrate and a teaspoon white wine yeast, after I strained the pulp I threw it away and transfered liquid into a clean demi John ....I used thick stemed rhubarb, maybe I shadav used the young smaller stems....I'm now waiting for some rhubarb concentrated flavour to see if that will work

I always ferment on the pulp I use 2kg per gallon, rhubarb is probably my favourite wine.
I've just picked a few kg today as its growing like crazy so I will get some on soon, and maybe try another sparkling version.

my recipe.
Rhubarb wine
2kg of rhubarb chopped into 1 inch chunks and put in a pan with 100ml of water and 100g of sugar, heat and stir until rhubarb is softening and starting to break apart, chuck into FV with 4L of water with crushed campden tab and the juice of a lemon or two, add 1tsp pectolase, stir well and leave overnight and next day boil 1L water and melt 800g sugar add to FV, add more to hit your preferred OG (I aim for OG around 1075 -1080 but add more sugar if you like stronger wine)add 1 tsp yeast, 1tsp yeast nutrient, leave to ferment for a week stirring daily, sieve/strain off pulp into a clean dj and leave to finish fermenting and clearing.

rhubarb ice cream is wicked too!

Back