Xmas beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolram

Reaction score
Hi all
I've convinced myself I should make my own xmas beer but having only made a few kits and a couple of tc's I need some advice.
This is my plan so far
2 tins of dark LME
some mulled wine flavouring
Candied sugar

So the questions are
What yeast should I use?
What hops would suit this?
What else do I need to get 8 ish ABV?
Or am I way off the mark? If so how would you do it?

I like the idea of using mulled wine spices, I might pinch that. Whether the yeast is suitable depends on what you want from it but I quite like the idea of it. I suppose you don't want too much hop bitterness or hop flavour so maybe Fuggles/Willamette, no late additions.

http://byo.com/body/item/1446-take-heart-with-winter-warmers

http://byo.com/hops/item/2258-winter-seasonal-beers

http://beerandwinejournal.com/winter-warmer/

I haven't used malt extract in a long time. Is dark LME the kind of extract you'd use for a stout? If it is, I would use some light & some dark.

Looking at the Bad Santa recipe it looks a lot like a Xmas cake. Could adding the fruit from a Xmas cake add to the flavour? Or even mince pie mix?
Thanks for the reply.

If the dried fruit has preservative will it need to be boiled off?

So revised recipe
1 tin dark LME
1tin light LME
Some mulled wine flavouring
Candied sugar
1kg mixed dried fruit
MJ Belgium Tripel yeast
Fuggles

Do I need more fermentables to get 8 ish ABV

Great thing about brewing is the experimenting with ingredients stage! I friend of mine has recently made a candyfloss beer!

I used star anise, nutmeg and cinnamon in my AG brew last year, I can't remember fully but I'm sure I used a liquid London Ale yeast. To be fair I think it'd come out great with trusty ol' safale-04 dried yeast.

Looking at the Bad Santa recipe it looks a lot like a Xmas cake. Could adding the fruit from a Xmas cake add to the flavour? Or even mince pie mix?
Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't use mincemeat, as it has suet in it which would kill head retention. You could always make your own by adding mixing dried fruit, nutmeg, brandy, citrus zest and brown sugar. For the dried fruit, some people make wine from raisins without problem, and here you will be using much less than that, so I wouldn't worry too much about the preservatives, especially if you pour boiling water over them though, which you should do anyway to sanitise them. Another thought if you go down the dried fruit route is to add a bit of pectolase to prevent pectin haze from forming.

I like that brewers friend builder.🖒. Make it easier.

c02ba166c7a44a8ab726940c716f96f0.jpg

So had a play and this is where I am at.
This is for 23 litres.

I don't know it's the first time I've use this and only playing with the fermentables bit.

Thanks for the help. It's all ordered now so will let you know how I get on.
Cheers.👍

Tesco do a great mixed fruit that I use in Clooty Dumplings made around Christmas time. There is no added suet as in a Mincemeat Mix.

BTW No.2 son reckons me and SWMBO are insane on the basis that we fry slices of Clooty Dumplings that have been boiled for four hours and yet eat gravlax which is raw salmon seasoned for three days in the fridge with a salt/sugar mixture! :doh:

We love both - but the calories in Clooty Dumplings restrict it to Christmas time! :whistle: :whistle:

Ok it's made 20 litres with an og of 1110 I was aiming for 1080 ish. What do you think make it up to 23 litres or leave as is?

That tesco fruit has added oil so soak it in boiling water for a bit then drain to get rid of it

Back