What's the worst that could happen?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tefkab

Reaction score
So I've got one bottle left of a brew I made, the last one I poured, and it's poured out super-cloudy (youngs American amber ale) as there was a lot of sediment in it. Is it drinkable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I've got one bottle left of a brew I made, the last one I poured, and it's poured out super-cloudy (youngs American amber ale) as there was a lot of sediment in it. Is it drinkable?

almost all things are drinkable, you just run the risk of it being overly yeasty and haveing a very notable 48 hours colonic cleanse :nono:

Yeah not an problem at all. Some German and Belgian styles are poured with the sediment.

to be honest its worth putting in the fridge the day/evening before and then enjoying the next day :)

I'm afraid I bottled it - no pun intended! I couldn't face the possibility of having to sit on the bog all day tomorrow so I cut out the middle man by chucking it down the drain. Smelled ok though!

What a waste! Sediment only gives you the trots if you're not used to it. Even clear homebrew has more sediment and **** in suspension than commercial beer, so you'll already have a tolerance.

What a waste! Sediment only gives you the trots if you're not used to it. Even clear homebrew has more sediment and **** in suspension than commercial beer, so you'll already have a tolerance.

What ^he^ said. Even if you're not used to it, it'd take more than one bottle before it affected you that badly. The sediment is actually good for you, it's full of b vitamins, don't be afraid of it.

Gout is a very painful arthritic condition, the base cause of which is purines in the diet. As purines are a by-product on anaerobic respiration, brewing yeast is a primary source in contemporary diets. The NHS links like the one below don't mention beer nearly as much as they might, because the yeast from fermentation is removed in almost all commercial beers. It is present in all homebrews to a greater or lesser extent and I would advise against drinking obviously cloudy, yeasty beer for that reason.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gout/Pages/Causes.aspx

Gout is a very painful arthritic condition, the base cause of which is purines in the diet. As purines are a by-product on anaerobic respiration, brewing yeast is a primary source in contemporary diets. The NHS links like the one below don't mention beer nearly as much as they might, because the yeast from fermentation is removed in almost all commercial beers. It is present in all homebrews to a greater or lesser extent and I would advise against drinking obviously cloudy, yeasty beer for that reason.

now this I wasn't expecting

Er... not always!

Personally, I blame my Mum 'cos ...

"Susceptibility to gout is often inherited ... "​

The subject of inherited problems very much reminds me of the toilet graffiti I once saw in Grimsby before we had Political Correctness. It went:

"My mother made me a queer."

and underneath

"If I buy her the wool will she knit me one?"
:whistle: :whistle:

Stay away from Belgium then, I didn't have a single clear beer the whole time I was there.

Well, on the subject of gout:

I was very surprised when the Doc told me that was what it was. When I read up on it, I found that his diagnosis was spot on. In those days I was of the habit of drinking the yeasty bit at the bottom of a bottle. Not any more!

I think there is a difference between beer that is cloudy because it is yeasty and beer that has a distinct haze for other reasons, including small bits of hop debris - e.g. from a hop tea or dry hop addition or wheat proteins. All wheat beers are cloudy, but that does not mean they are yeasty.

Gout is so unpleasant that I make no apology for raising the issue.

Back