Cox apple and conference pear cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarlingStu

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a coxes apple and conference pear tree in my garden, will these varieties make a decent Apple and pear cider or should I stick to kits.
I reckon I've got enough of both for gallon of two (quite small trees).
Is it worth a go?

One of the best in quality of the English dessert apples, Cox's Orange Pippin may be eaten out of hand or sliced. Not recommended for cooking, it cooks to a fine froth.[citation needed] Cox's Orange Pippin is often blended with other varieties in the production of cider.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox%27s_Orange_Pippin

That seems strange that it's not any good for cooking but OK for cider. I thought Bramley was the apple for cider.
I haven't seen a thread on here for a while about people making cider from fruit. There were a couple of people
who had made their own presses. It might involve a bit of work compared to a kit.

Im sure I could fashion something using a bottle jack and some marine ply. Only thing is the conference pears are really dry(trying to think of a phrase that's not obscene!).

Back