Safale US-05

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been conditioning a brew since early July and just got one out of the cupboard and it looks perfect... Until I pour it in the glass. The yeast doesn't seem to have settled or packed into the bottom at all. Just wondering how long it may take for this to happen? Beer tastes fine but obviously the clarity is a bit of an issue.

First time using this yeast so not sure if I should have done a starter at fermentation and if that would have helped?? Grateful for any advice.

Cheers.

Storing at room temperature in a cupboard at the moment. It's been in the bottle about six weeks so it seems weird it hasn't compacted so well as yet.

I've put a couple of bottles in the fridge but doubt they'll compact much before they get opened tonight haha!

I've found exactly the same as you with US-05 and posted a thread on here a while ago: in my experience it just doesn't stick even if left a long time and refridgerated. Same with some of the Mangrove Jack yeasts. US-04 and Nottingham on the other hand go really solid.

The last all grain pale ale i made i used an 05, it did take it almost the full two weeks for bottles to start to fully settle out refrigerated.

I've used this in a brew over the summer, the only time the beer saw the cold was 24hrs in the fridge before drinking and it has compacted well.

I've used this in a brew over the summer, the only time the beer saw the cold was 24hrs in the fridge before drinking and it has compacted well.

Of all the yeasts I've used, US-05 has been the most consistent and I've never had any problems. As Mick says, you need to warm condition for 2 weeks and then fridge your beer before drinking.

You could also try gelatin. I've never used it as I'm a stout drinker but it does seem to give great results http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I also filtered my beer through a 10 micron filter which gave good results (1 micron is recommended) but it was a lot of hassle for results that didn't affect the taste. If it's only you drinking the beer I wouldn't bother.

Grizzly makes good points but I think you'd notice your problem when you bottle. I had loads of clarity issues when I first started which I think was due to hot and cold breaks (my beer was like egg soup).

Of all the yeasts I've used, US-05 has been the most consistent and I've never had any problems. As Mick says, you need to warm condition for 2 weeks and then fridge your beer before drinking.

You could also try gelatin. I've never used it as I'm a stout drinker but it does seem to give great results http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I also filtered my beer through a 10 micron filter which gave good results (1 micron is recommended) but it was a lot of hassle for results that didn't affect the taste. If it's only you drinking the beer I wouldn't bother.

Grizzly makes good points but I think you'd notice your problem when you bottle. I had loads of clarity issues when I first started which I think was due to hot and cold breaks (my beer was like egg soup).

I use gelatine when I keg but the one time I used for bottled beer (another SO5, interestingly) it made the beer really bright but there was 1/4" of sludge on the bottom of the bottle that didn't compact so there ws quite a lot of beer that I couldn't pour into the bottle.

I think you'll find all the literature points to US-05 being only "medium" for flocculation (dropping out) whereas S-04 gets a "high". I've even heard it (the yeast) described as "powdery"? Guess that explains why "cold crashing" (blah; I hate that term) and "force-conditioning" is so popular state-side if US-05 is representative of American yeast. You might try "cold-crashing" (arrg, did I say that?) or fining with gelatine or isinglass before bottling next time. Going for S-04 will result in a different beer as I've just learnt using US-05 for the first time recently and seeing it ferment to 1.006 (I've never, that's a 40 year never, seen a yeast go lower than 1.010 before CORRECTION: BE-256, or "Abbaye", went to 1.006 in 48 hours for me last year, it let everyone know about it too - poo!).

I don't bottle, but answering this has made me quite chuffed that I'm also trying "cask widges" (they take beer from the surface in the keg) for the first time with this US-05 fermented beer.

I've been conditioning a brew since early July and just got one out of the cupboard and it looks perfect... Until I pour it in the glass.

You could try laying under the table and siphoning it directly from bottle to mouth. Two birds with one stone there mate. You've solved your clarity problem AND answered the question about how you came to be flat out on the floor at the end of the night!

Seriously though, keep us updated. My next brew is my first with Safale 05 and I'd like to know more about how it performs.

I have recently switched to US-05 and am finding it just fine, it mostly compacts after 5 weeks bottle conditioning plus 2 days n the fridge to chill.

when I pour I always leave the dregs in the bottom I never empty the bottle as I don't like over yeasty beers

I found that US-05 wouldn't settle; it was like a ginger kid after a gallon of Sunny D, all over the place!

Adding gelatine just made the crud float off in sheets. To be fair, I just drank the beer with the yeast bits in it; it kept me regular.

Now I only use US-05 for kegging. If I'm bottling I go with Nottingham.

I have recently switched to US-05 and am finding it just fine, it mostly compacts after 5 weeks bottle conditioning plus 2 days n the fridge to chill.

when I pour I always leave the dregs in the bottom I never empty the bottle as I don't like over yeasty beers

I currently have some very cloudy beer but is clearing at the very top a week after bottling - I must admit, I was hoping to trial after a couple of weeks - but I can see the 05 taking that 5 weeks to clear.. Which is a shame as I want to try it now.

My next kit brew says to use the 05 in place of the kit yeast,it's off the coopers Web site, their A brew can with extra spraymalt and dry hopped. I have everything in stock though my hops are cascade and citra. I want this beer to be ready as soon as so is the force chilling after carbonation, use a different yeast or using finings the way to go? What's the best way to use finings?

Cheers

Clint

I found that US-05 wouldn't settle; it was like a ginger kid after a gallon of Sunny D, all over the place!

Adding gelatine just made the crud float off in sheets. To be fair, I just drank the beer with the yeast bits in it; it kept me regular.

Now I only use US-05 for kegging. If I'm bottling I go with Nottingham.
Ive had a similar problem with 05 and now use 04. I tried S-33 once and that was excellent as was Wilkos yeast

Back