hoppy beer conditioning temp?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
hello beer patrons

just bottled a festival razorback

does anyone condition high hopped beers at a lower than the recommend 20-25c for the first two weeks to preserve the aroma or would this not be detrimental to the hops in the first place?
Im trying to get a balance between maximum hop character and carbing (if under carbed Im not too bothered)

I was thinking room temp for three weeks and two in the garage

cheers

Through necessity I have conditioned a lot of my beer in the shed* from bottling.
*I insulated the shed roof after my attempt at insulating boxes didn't work.

It does take them a bit longer to carb up, but I haven't noticed a difference between the bottles that have had time inside compared to bottles from the same brew that have been outside the whole time.

Whether it helps the retention of hop aroma/flavour I don't know.

Are you able to do a comparison?

That kit is good and hoppy I conditioned mine at 18c and that was very good
You could maybe separate your batch and try different temps to see which you prefer

I don't condition hoppy beers for very long at all. I'll crack the first one a week after bottling to see how it's getting along. Then from 2 weeks it's being drunk as quickly as possible. If you've dry hopped the aroma fades quickly and certainly after a month it is starting to lose a little freshness.

As long as the beer isn't super strong I'd drink it as young as possible.

If it's 7%+ it might benefit from a slightly longer conditioning period but the hops will still be fading.

Through necessity I have conditioned a lot of my beer in the shed* from bottling.
*I insulted the shed roof after my attempt at insulating boxes didn't work.

It does take them a bit longer to carb up, but I haven't noticed a difference between the bottles that have had time inside compared to bottles from the same brew that have been outside the whole time.

I'm afraid not. although I could try a few at a warmer climate and try both after about two weeks.

hope Ur shed wasn't too offended :)

*I insulted the shed roof after my attempt at insulating boxes didn't work.

How do you insult a shed roof....by telling it, that it is not up to the job?
(Sorry couldn't resist)

Latest posts

Back