Bottle conditioning time/temp (extract brew)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Hello all

Long term lurker and first time poster.

I've just finished my second kit brew and wanted to find out the best way to condition/carb my bottles.

Little insight (sorry if too much info). My first brew was a St Peter's Ruby Red Ale (in August) and all went ok with the initial brewing/fermenting. I think I naused up the bottling and conditioning (didn't pay enough attention at the time). It is drinkable but no great.

My second/current brew is the Tiny Rebel Cwtch kit. After general research I have been considerably more conscientious with brewing & bottling. Also in addition to the kit I added DME, mosaic pellets at the initial and dry hop stages and also grapefruit peel. The result is a decent smelling & tasting Grapefruit Red IPA style beer. So happy with the results and primed/bottled last night.

Now I need to know the best environment to condition/carb the beer. The kit instructions advise in a warm dark place for 2 days then two weeks in a cool place to condition. I'm a little skeptical to follow this as I'm thinking that they should be stored for longer in a warm place (room temp 18-21ish). This is obviously giving the yeast longer in the correct environment to do its work. I'm only concerned that too long at a warm temp will affect the taste.

Not bothered about clarity just decent taste/body/carbonation.

Hope I didn't go on too much.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback.

You will need at least one, better two weeks in a warm place after priming and bottling to allow the yeast to consume the sugar and carb up the beer.
Then you can move to a cooler place for the beer to condition.
I've not done the Tiny Rebel kit but my experience of light hoppy homebrew kit beers is that they are best drunk young since the hop impact slowly disappears, so try one after two to three weeks of conditioning, and if you think it's ready get stuck in but note any changes as you get through your batch of bottles.

Much obliged terrym....

Confirmed my thoughts.

I will get stuck in as soon as ready. Clear some space for the next project of partial grain (seems the obvious next step)..

Ta

Back