Beer Bottle Capper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
I looking to purchase a beer bottle capper, any recommendations as I am not sure at this stage to go for the two handle version or the lever type.

I looking to purchase a beer bottle capper, any recommendations as I am not sure at this stage to go for the two handle version or the lever type.
If you plan to brew a fair bit and also plan to brew into the future, a big one handled bench capper is the way forward.

Hi everyone,

I got this bottle capper some months ago:

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-capper-boxed/invt/0191082

It was working like wonder until last week, when it "decapitated" 3 bottles (compromising the remaining ones as crushed glass rained over them).

I noted that apparently it doesn't grip the neck of the bottles as good as it used to, and then it moves to the broader part of the neck and crushes it completely.

Has this happened to any of you? If so, does it have a solution?

I've seen the cappers you recommend above but they aren't cheap. If I could make mine work as before, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

I got this bottle capper some months ago:

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-capper-boxed/invt/0191082

It was working like wonder until last week, when it "decapitated" 3 bottles (compromising the remaining ones as crushed glass rained over them).

I noted that apparently it doesn't grip the neck of the bottles as good as it used to, and then it moves to the broader part of the neck and crushes it completely.

Has this happened to any of you? If so, does it have a solution?

I've seen the cappers you recommend above but they aren't cheap. If I could make mine work as before, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!

Nope by all accounts that's what happens, they wear out quite quickly and then start breaking your bottles or make it difficult to get a cap on securely.

The cappers above really aren't that expensive, just over £20, it should in theory last forever, makes the job of capping bottles much easier and will work with bottles that cause trouble for other cappers e.g. Hobgoblin bottles.

Went through 2 of the 2 handled 'manglers' then invested in a bench capper.

Never looked back and the bench capper handles any type of bottle - including Wychwood, that used to trouble the manglers no end !

I've got one if the 2 handed Wilkos one and it's not brill, looking for a bench capper now,wish I'd have known, I've got about 50 hobgoblin bottles with the rounder type top and it really struggles,

Like others I went through 2 hand cappers, breaking various bottles in the process, before getting a bench capper. Just over twice the price of the hand capper but has revolutionised the bottling experience in a good way.

Thank you all guys... I had the feeling I was going to get those responses but still had some hope LOL!
I guess I'll buy that bench capper...
Cheers n' beers!

+ �£6.95 p&p

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Well yes, but free shipping over £70, add a few beer kits or whatever takes your fancy to the order to take the total order cost over £70 ;) That's what I did, currently drinking one of them (Dead Phony IPA).

I purchased one of these in the end, after a few tests I find the bottle get stuck in the bell cap. I have heard that a smear of olive oil in the bell should stop this.

Is this the answer or would you say the capper is faulty.

Capper.jpg

Mine usually ends up picking up the bottle but a levering gets it out ok. Haven't tried olive oil.

Latest posts

Back