Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbandit

Reaction score
First timer here trying to make cider.

I have checked the gravity readings and the Cider is ready for bottling.

Couple of questions

The cider tastes a bit weak and slightly fizzy, and has a slight burning after taste on the tongue... Is that normal for dry cider.

When bottling up how much sugar should you add for fizz in 330ml bottle.

Finally I have just added Camden tablets, will I have to add more before bottling.

I would go for about 4g of sugar per 330ml, I usually bottle in 500ml's and use 6g

It will taste slightly fizzy though as a little residual co2 will be present in the cider still

Re: weak, do you mean flavour, or alcohol ? Did you take hydrometer readings at the start/end ?

What was your source for the juice, real apples or cartons etc ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Oh yeh, I meant to add about the Campden tablets, not really required for supermarket AJ cider... might still get away with getting it to carb up though, as it only stuns, not kills the yeast

I used real apples out of the garden (maid of Devon)..

Just tastes like Watered down very sharp/dry apple juice... Is this normal ?

I have added Camden tablets to kill off any bacteria before bottling..

All I need to do is add the sugar to the bottles (glass) and fill the bottles

I used real apples out of the garden (maid of Devon)..

Just tastes like Watered down very sharp/dry apple juice... Is this normal ?

I have added Camden tablets to kill off any bacteria before bottling..

All I need to do is add the sugar to the bottles (glass) and fill the bottles

Most still dry cider tastes like that, drink a couple of pints and the effect is noticable. If you've drunk real cider uncarbonated then you'll find this normal. Prime and glass sounds bad idea to me, I have in past had them explode dangerously and known others having had the same issue. I used 2 ltr old plastic coke bottles, see what opinion others say before bottling.

Latest posts

Back