Carbonating after 2nd fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ardly

Reaction score
Hi
I have 2 demijohns of cider that have completed 2nd fermention and is ready for bottling. I am assuming as it is no longer bubbling that all the yeast is dead? if so, is there a way to add carbonation when I bottle it?
I did bottle a few after 1st fermentation and added a little sugar. It produced a lovely fizzy cider after about 4 weeks.
I'd like to make the rest fizzy but if I add sugar on bottling will there be any yeast left to process the sugar?
thanks for any help.
Alan

Hi
I have 2 demijohns of cider that have completed 2nd fermention and is ready for bottling. I am assuming as it is no longer bubbling that all the yeast is dead? if so, is there a way to add carbonation when I bottle it?
I did bottle a few after 1st fermentation and added a little sugar. It produced a lovely fizzy cider after about 4 weeks.
I'd like to make the rest fizzy but if I add sugar on bottling will there be any yeast left to process the sugar?
thanks for any help.
Alan
The yeast isn't dead, it goes dormant. No matter how clear your cider is when you bottle it, you will still carry some yeast over to the bottle. So just prime the bottles and leave them to carb up.
Don't try to make sweet cider by adding more sugar. You'll cause the bottles to explode dangerously.

The yeast isn't dead, it goes dormant. No matter how clear your cider is when you bottle it, you will still carry some yeast over to the bottle. So just prime the bottles and leave them to carb up.
Don't try to make sweet cider by adding more sugar. You'll cause the bottles to explode dangerously.

If I wanted to sweeten it, could I use an artificial sweetener? I've just made my first turbo cider, went well but it's a bit dry and bitter. I want to carbonate it but also sweeten it a little. Could I use the sweetener to improve taste and carbonation drops to add a little fizz?

You certainly can use artificial sweetener. Couldn't tell you how much though as I don't use it. Either put it in at bottling time or in your glass before pouring. I've seen people use a bit of apple cordial in the glass before pouring too. Final option is to buy cider yeast with sweetener already in it. I tried it for Mrs Biffa who liked it, but it was too sweet for me. I only used slightly under half of the sachet, as it's enough for a 23l batch.

I add one teaspoon of erythritol to sweeten and one of whatever normal sugar i have in the kitchen per 500ml bottle. I find it takes about a month at room temperature for the bottles to fizz up. Never had a problem with exploding bottles , that said they are never left long enough for the pressure to build up too much i suppose!

Latest posts

Back