Super speedy yeasts!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just checked on my steam beer that I bottled last friday and it's carbonated (my PET tester bottle is rock hard) and cleared already, so I've popped one in the fridge to try tomorrow. From grain to glass in 3 weeks, but it went off like a rocket so I reckon with the right beer I could probably do grain to glass in 2!

My last steam beer did pretty much the same (it did taste quite young but still very nice, mellowed into the best beer I've made) and I've never had that with any other beer (three kits with the supplied yeasts, one AG with Notty and the rest of my AGs with US05) so it must be the MJ California Lager yeast that is responsible for the super speediness.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

AG brews ferment and condition a lot quicker than kits, I'm convinced the 2 + 2 + 2 standard isn't necessary for a lot of AG beers although I'm not brave enough to change my routine just yet. I think, assuming a pale ale with no dry hop, it could ferment in 3-4 days, 2 days diactyl rest, 5 days in the bottle to carb (even less if you force carb in a keg) and then a few days to condition...comfortably under two weeks. If I had the equipment I'd love to do a side by side of the same recipe, one done over the standard 6 weeks and one done in 10-14 days and see what the difference it like.

AG brews ferment and condition a lot quicker than kits, I'm convinced the 2 + 2 + 2 standard isn't necessary for a lot of AG beers although I'm not brave enough to change my routine just yet. I think, assuming a pale ale with no dry hop, it could ferment in 3-4 days, 2 days diactyl rest, 5 days in the bottle to carb (even less if you force carb in a keg) and then a few days to condition...comfortably under two weeks. If I had the equipment I'd love to do a side by side of the same recipe, one done over the standard 6 weeks and one done in 10-14 days and see what the difference it like.

During the summer I made a beer, grain to glass in about 7 days. Because it was so warm it fermented really quickly but I was using workhorse yeast so the fermentation could take it. Tasted great

Did one in 4 days. It was force carbed in a corny keg. I've done some fast beers with a steam beer yeast as well. The main thing is the yeast ferments quickly and is highly flocculent so it clears fast.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58027

Wow, that's impressive!

I had my sample bottle last night and it was brilliant. It was still tasting s bit young and in need of conditioning, but it looks like I've fixed my hop harshness and the Caramunich and rye have brought a bit of "that steam beer flavour" i was missing in the first one I brewed.

I got home yesterday determined to disprove the 2+2+2 rule, my Citra APA has been fermenting since Wednesday evening at 20c so I was certain it would have been finished! I was going to give it today to clean up then crash tonight and bottle on Wednesday, Typically it hasn't bloomin finished and has a massive krausen...grrrrrr!

The krausen on some yeasts seems to hang around. I did one with Burton ale yeast recently and ended up racking the beer anyway. The wlp090 I've been using seems to drop like a stone as soon as it's done.

I think how long you condition your beer depends on the type. I think I usually prefer my heavy hopped beers young. However if there is any harsh bitterness then that ages out a bit. I also did a lager type beer recently and that aged nicely. In my opinion they keep conditioning in the keg or bottle anyway so why hang around.

I am very disorganised so dont often do the 2+2+2. At the nmoment i ferment for 2 or 3 weeks. Then bottles go in airing cupboard and i try one after a week and go from there. Not very pro i know lol.
When you do a diactyl rest do you raise the temps?

I am very disorganised so dont often do the 2+2+2. At the nmoment i ferment for 2 or 3 weeks. Then bottles go in airing cupboard and i try one after a week and go from there. Not very pro i know lol.
When you do a diactyl rest do you raise the temps?

Depends on ferment temp, if I've fermented below 20c I'll increase it a bit, if 20c or above I'll just leave it. I'm not sure where I've picked this up from tho, I possibly just made it up?

Depends on ferment temp, if I've fermented below 20c I'll increase it a bit, if 20c or above I'll just leave it. I'm not sure where I've picked this up from tho, I possibly just made it up?

if it makes sense you may have read it or been told it while on the forum or drinking, if your are dead sure its correct it was an apifany that came to you while drinking !:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back