Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Conan x WLP644 Hybrid Yeast

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 957 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Default Conan x WLP644 Hybrid Yeast

Anyone who keeps an eye on the Homebrewtalk forum may have come across a thread regarding this. But basically a brewing scientist from Finland called Kristoffer has bred a hybrid of the conan yeast (as used by Alchemist) and WLP644 (sacch trois) in an attempt to create a great IPA yeast. Every now and then he propagates a fresh batch and sells vials to anyone interested. This isn't a blend of the two yeasts but rather a new strain bred from the other two which I found intriguing (his blog post about it).

I emailed him some time last year and he told me he was all out but would let me know next time round. I forgot all about it until he emailed a couple of weeks ago saying he was preparing a new batch. It cost €6 for a 2ml vial including shipping, and as well as the original hybrid strain (known as F1) he also included a vial which contains a variation on the original (known as F1C4). I think that's a bargain for two new strains to play with.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between the two, he describes the variant as "the best performing segregant", which no doubt means something to a microbiologist, but not to me. The thread on homebrewtalk has lots of replies from brewers who have used them and the F1 has been described as "conan on steroids" with lots of peach, mango and orange. The F1C4 variant is a little more "brett" like, with a bit of funk but still very fruity, particularly pineapple which is common in 100% brett IPAs.

I'm excited to try these out because they sound like exactly what I'm looking for in my NEIPA beers, and people seem to be having lots of success using these yeasts with this style (there was one guy who had bagged 3 medals for his IPA, BIPA and NEIPA). So I'm going to document my experiences here, starting from the 2ml vials right up to the finished beers. I don't have a particular recipe in mind yet, but I'm probably going to do a slightly simpler version of my vermont IPA, split the batch and pitch the two strains for a comparison. I will also be happy to send some bottles to those interested in trying it.

I'm in the middle of buying a house so brewing has taken a back seat recently, but I'm keen to get started on this soon. More details to follow.
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
clarkeuk

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would love to try some Steve will obviously send some back in return

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

I received the vials yesterday and I got the first starters going this evening. They were supposed to be 50ml but I had some spillage so probably about 30-40ml each. I'll give them a couple of days at 20° then step up to 100ml.
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkeuk View Post
I would love to try some Steve will obviously send some back in return

Sure, it'll be a couple of months probably before I'm at that stage but I'll keep you in mind

Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
clarkeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
Sure, it'll be a couple of months probably before I'm at that stage but I'll keep you in mind
Look forward to it cheers👍🍻

Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
clarkeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
Look forward to it cheers Steve 👍🍻

Old 04-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
IainM

Liked 803 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Sounds very interesting. I'd be very happy to do a bottle swap on one of those!
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer
strange-steve Likes This 
Old 05-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
RKi

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

God sounds incredibly interesting. Think theres any chance he'd send some of the yeast to a random such as myself?

Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKi View Post
God sounds incredibly interesting. Think theres any chance he'd send some of the yeast to a random such as myself?
I don't see why not, I got his email from the first post in the HBT thread linked above. I think there's a lot of interest so it's possible you may have to wait till next time (as I did) but you might be lucky if you speak to him soon.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Just in case anyone on the forum is still interested in brewing rather than politics and religion () I stepped these up to 100ml this evening. Obviously not much to see at this point but there seemed to be some off-gassing when I swirled it up which is a good sign of life. Another couple of days then I'll step up to 250ml.
People Like This