Punters flock for festive pint despite £21 price

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So nobody bought a pint but, doesn't 2 half's work out dearer in most pubs
Not in any pub I've been involved in, beyond rounding to the nearest 5/10p. The UK is far less tolerant of halves not being half the price of a pint compared to the US where it's the norm. And arguably that's fair enough as most of the costs of serving a pint are the same or nearly so in terms of bartender time etc, the liquid is only about a third of the cost of a pint.

But the people who drink halves who tend to be the ones who are picky about everything...

I don't see the problem, it's a special imported keg of a style that is always going to be expensive. If they can sell it at that price then they clearly know their market better than some rando "journalist". If a garage selling Fords suddenly gets a Ferrari in one day, they're not going to sell it at a Ford price.

But we are discussing beer not other drinks, why did you bring that into the discussion :confused.: I could witter on about some fancy bottled water but it’s totally irrelevant to the original post.
It looks like it’s you that didn’t read it. If they are selling beer at £21 a pint it’s not click bait or lazy journalism it’s a fact, is that so hard to comprehend.

Exactly and I am glad I am not alone in keeping pointing this out.
I will say it again it's £21 a pint whether one pint has been served or not you may think that's lazy journalism but it doesn't change that fact.

Exactly and I am glad I am not alone in keeping pointing this out.
I will say it again it's £21 a pint whether one pint has been served or not you may think that's lazy journalism but it doesn't change that fact.
£21 a pint isn't unusual or unique, even for one of your threads, titled by price per pint even though it was even on draft.

The imported American craft ale is on sale for £105 for a 750ml bottle (1.3 pints) at The Craft Beer Co in Brixton. ashock1

View attachment 70725 .View attachment 70726

A London boozer is selling what is believed to be Britain’s most expensive beer – priced at an unbelievable £80.15p a pint.

The imported American craft ale is on sale for £105 for a 750ml bottle (1.3 pints) at The Craft Beer Co in Brixton.

The Reforged 20th Anniversary Ale is made by the AleSmith Brewing Company, an ‘artisanal’ microbrewery in San Diego, California.

The 11% ABV beer, aged in a bourbon barrel for 18 months, is dark brown in colour and has a thick, syrupy consistency.

The dark sour ale contains roasted malts and hops together with coffee, chocolate, vanilla, caramel and barley wine.

However, it has failed to win over the pub’s clientele – with just a single bottle sold so far.

But beer fans could be swayed by a third off the price tag if they choose to buy a bottle to take home.

The single bottle was purchased by a group of six drinkers who said they enjoyed the taste but could not justify the price.

Pub manager and beer fan Ben O’Neill, 22, said the ale was a ‘bit on the thin side’ compared to most other Imperial stouts.

‘Without the price I would rate this as an 8.2 out of 10. With the price factored in, it is more like a four out of 10.

‘I would definitely expect more from something that is so expensive.’

Ben added the most he would consider paying is £45 for a pint.

His friend Chris Anagnostopoulos, 27, a software engineer from Bath, added: ‘It does grow on you, but I would not pay that much for it even to have it once.’

Meanwhile banker Elliot Clark, 26, from Brixton, offered a damning assessment of the beverage.

‘It is not what I want from a beer. It is very syrupy and the taste is quite overwhelming.

‘It is not something I would want to drink a pint of.

‘If it was a shot or a cocktail, yes. I like a taste of it.

He added: ‘I have spent a couple of hundred pounds on a bottle of wine before but I would not buy that.’

The Brixton pub’s second most expensive tipple is another American ale, named ‘Brewery Out of the Lunch Box’, priced at £45 for a 750ml bottle.

Pub general manager, Andrew Barton, said the venue likes to highlight different breweries and give punters the chance to try new drinks.

He conceded some prices will be out of reach for people struggling during the cost of living crisis in Britain.

But he added: ‘With the beers we have on tap, we try to make craft beer very accessible and we try to be cheaper than other pubs nearby – we sell one IPA for £6.50 when they sell it for more than £7.

‘It is not all about charging people these crazy prices.

‘We charge what we charge because the cost of a keg is very expensive.

‘We could raise our prices further, but we want to make this accessible for people.’

The Brixton bar’s most expensive beer on tap costs £11.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/20/lond...-beer-sells-for-80-15-a-pint-at-pub-16857481/
Same old story, rehashed and presented in the same way on the forum. Lazy, click bait.

Last edited:
All i am pointing out Clint is it doesn't say - 'Beer not bought in pints, £21 a pint' there is no evidence not a single person has bought a pint,

Maybe they should have said "11% beer only sold in half pints at £10:50 lapped up by customers at local boozer" to keep the pedants happy! ;)
I was just pointing out the double negative....I think!

Guilty, I paid $45 AU about 22 GBP for a Guinness but I think it was a 750 ml bottle.
1702539541305.jpeg
1702539642190.jpeg

£21 a pint isn't unusual or unique, even for one of your threads, titled by price per pint even though it was even on draft.
If you click the link in the OP you'll see the article title was

Punters flock for festive pint despite £21 price​

I didn't make it up to get clicks, you really do need to stop digging now it's £21 per pint it doesn't matter what spin you try to put on it and it doesn't matter if other beers are the same or higher priced this article is about this particular pub and beer not other similarly prices beers.

As for the little dig about "for one of my thread" feel free to put me on your ignore list so you can avoid any future ones I post if you don't want to do that I suggest if you think the thread title looks like click bait show a little self control and move along rather than open it and bitch about it's content!.

Last edited:
sorry I can only manage 12 euros for 0.4l in a helsinki bar last week.

brewdog do some around £5 for a third.

london craft pubs are your best chance to break that record.

"Click bait typically refers to the practice of writing sensationalized or misleading headlines in order to attract clicks on a piece of content."

Simple.

As I said I didn't write the title of the article and it doesn't change the fact the beer is £21 a pint.
To repeat my earlier post, in future if you think a thread title looks like click bait show some self control and move along this will be the last time you call click bait and ruin a thread .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back