Punters flock for festive pint despite £21 price

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

What is the most you have paid for a pint in a pub?

Yorkshire folk may be known for their love of a bargain, but a "rare" beer selling at a whopping £21 a pint has been lapped up by customers at one local boozer.

The Rutland Arms in Sheffield has been serving thirsty punters a novelty 11% volume Marshmallow Barrel Aged Stout, before it sold out on Tuesday.

The pub was thought to be the only one in the UK selling the beer, which was created by a Florida brewery.

The Arms' general manager, Chris Bamford, said there had been plenty of intrigue around the beer, with revellers from all over the country popping in for a taster.

1702483240734.png

The Arms picked up a keg of the beer through its close relationship with Leeds-based brewery Northern Monk, which procured the stout itself from the US for a festival last month.

The supply was part of a one-off batch created by Cycle Brewery.

Mr Bamford, 37, said: "Customers have really enjoyed it.

"It’s very much on the sweeter end of the beer spectrum, but it’s still got a really nice balance to it.

"It’s sold really quite well and created a fair bit of interest, I think by virtue of being a rare beer from a highly rated quality American brewery.

"Lots of people travel to Sheffield at this time of year and head round the pubs, so we've had people in from all over the country trying it.

"We had some Brentford fans in, trying it before they played Sheffield United at the weekend, but I'm not sure how well it works as a pre-match pint!"

Quite wisely perhaps, no-one has actually ordered a full pint of the stout, taking the pub's guidance to consume it in smaller portions.

"Most people have been buying it in thirds and then there’s been the odd half," said Mr Bamford, who has been at the Rutland Arms since 2017.

"We strongly advise against pints. If someone came in and they hadn’t been drinking and they insisted, we’d have probably sold them a pint, but afterwards we’d be careful!"

The cost of the stout contrasts sharply with most of the pub's other offerings, with its cheapest pint being £3.70.

And although it's thought it could have been Yorkshire's priciest pre-Christmas pint, Mr Bamford "highly doubts" it's the UK's dearest, given the spiralling costs of a drink in London and other major cities.

"It's certainly the most expensive one we've ever sold," he said. "I don't think we'll make a habit of £21 pints, though!"

Follow BBC Yorkshire on Facebook, external, X (formerly Twitter), external and Instagram, external. Send your story ideas to [email protected], external.

1702483326857.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy02804d0dvo

'Beer not bought in pints, £21 a pint', same old tired journalistic nonsense.

It is advertised as £21 per pint they dont say no one has bought it in pints -

"Most people have been buying it in thirds and then there’s been the odd half," said Mr Bamford, who has been at the Rutland Arms since 2017.

"We strongly advise against pints. If someone came in and they hadn’t been drinking and they insisted, we’d have probably sold them a pint, but afterwards we’d be careful!"

Ah...if they didn't say no one had bought it in pints who were they?

All i am pointing out Clint is it doesn't say - 'Beer not bought in pints, £21 a pint' there is no evidence not a single person has bought a pint,

Maybe they should have said "11% beer only sold in half pints at £10:50 lapped up by customers at local boozer" to keep the pedants happy! ;)

Maybe they should have said "11% beer only sold in half pints at £10:50 lapped up by customers at local boozer" to keep the pedants happy! ;)
£6.40 for 175ml. Comparable to mediocre wine of the same strength, by the glass, in a pub. Which is why it's was lapped up by punters, intelligent people understanding the value, as well as the price of a quality barrel aged beer. Click bait article for everyone else.

It's almost as if you didn't read the article.

Well i have to admit i somehow skipped that line but its still £21 a pint ;)

Why is it click bait its priced at £21 a pint they didn't make the price up to get people to read the article.

Last edited:
Why is it click bait its priced at £21 a pint they didn't make the price up to get people to read the article.

Punters flock for festive pint despite £21 price.​

Pretty click bait thread title given you didn't read the article, that clearly states no one ordered a pint.

Why it’s £21 a pint, that’s what beer is priced at, if you buy beef at £21/kg and buy 800g it’s still £21/kg. Intelligent people realise that.
I know.

My point in the first post was that there's other drinks that equate to £21 a pint. There's a relationship between abv and tax that dictates the price. The article portrays a high price for a pint as something unusual, yet it's still cheaper per pint than most wines and spirits. Lazy journalism that devalues quality brewing and forces breweries to unsustainable tight margins.

Last edited:
My point in the first post was that there's other drinks that equate to £21 a pint.
But we are discussing beer not other drinks, why did you bring that into the discussion :confused.: I could witter on about some fancy bottled water but it’s totally irrelevant to the original post.
It looks like it’s you that didn’t read it. If they are selling beer at £21 a pint it’s not click bait or lazy journalism it’s a fact, is that so hard to comprehend.

It’s almost as if you didn't read what I said.
It's almost as if you don't see the hypocrisy.

Beer at £21 pint may be a fact, but it isn't a story. High abv, high production cost, high tax, high price. £21 a pint, so what? It isn't even unusual or extreme.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back