Recalibrating my plans for AG/BIAB - advice appreciated

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
Chums,

After a couple of AG on the hob, I'm sold, and I want to develop in this area.

Couple of problems now, though. Firstly, the kitchen has just had a makeover, so I need to begin planning on taking the brewing into the mancave. Secondly, not a lot of point in my getting into mega-productive mode - because I'm not going to be drinking gallons.

So, I'm wondering whether I'd be happier getting a 20L electric boiler, so I can do tidy little batches of things I'd really like to drink. Obviously, I'd need to calculate/convert recipes - but I don't mind producing little batches.

That being the case - anyone have any recommendations on what boiler would best suit my needs?

I've nicked the old fridge, and stuck it in the cave.

cheers

Chums,

After a couple of AG on the hob, I'm sold, and I want to develop in this area.

Couple of problems now, though. Firstly, the kitchen has just had a makeover, so I need to begin planning on taking the brewing into the mancave. Secondly, not a lot of point in my getting into mega-productive mode - because I'm not going to be drinking gallons.

So, I'm wondering whether I'd be happier getting a 20L electric boiler, so I can do tidy little batches of things I'd really like to drink. Obviously, I'd need to calculate/convert recipes - but I don't mind producing little batches.

That being the case - anyone have any recommendations on what boiler would best suit my needs?

I've nicked the old fridge, and stuck it in the cave.

cheers
Everyone will be sick listening to me but my 30l Burco boiler (which I’m sure only holds around 25!) is great,it’s £75 online I think and boils easily.
And it’s Stainless steel 👍

The point is not what can be done if you stand over it ready to pounce but what makes for an easy and enjoyable brew day.

I've used a 19litre Burco and if your absolutely sure that you will only ever want to do 10 - 12L batches it's big enough, even 30L is a bit tight for 23L/5gal.

I'd suggest 30L is a comfortable size for a 15L batch, even up to 20L although it's a bit tight.

ATB. aamcle

I've got a 30L stainless kettle with a heating element, bazooka filter and thermometer. The only other thing I need is a grain bag and I can do 18-20L batches (depending on the ABV) of full volume/no sparge BIAB. Suits me fine from the perspective of storage space and I think the kettle cost me £90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a bit of attention to Freecycle, Freegle and ebay "used" a Burco type manual water boiler can be had cheaply, don't be tempted by Mashtun/Boilers that have the controls in the base. To get the height needed to lift the bag the Urn section needs to be on the floor, do you want to be groveling around on your knees to get to the controls?

You'll probably find your self better served with a simple Urn or big stock pot with an element and a home built control box, PID/SSR/PT100 combo. There are build instructions here some place.

ATB. aamcle

As aamcle suggests, don't be tempted to buy something smaller as it's a bit cheaper, and then be having to nurse it when it's boiling.

A 30 litres size seems like a good compromise between being small enough if you want to do 10-15l batches, and capable of occasionally doing a full batch (23l) if you really want to, and are very careful.

Never used one, but the Ace boiler looks interesting, and is a good price.

If you want maybe more stability with your mash temperature than a metal boiler will allow, you might think about a cooler type mash tun, and then a simple Burco type boiler. This adds a little cost, and obviously takes up more space.

If I were to start again, and wanted to keep costs down, and knew that I wouldn't be hankering after expanding my brew length any time soon, I would advise going for the Ace boiler and get yourself an Inkbird for that fridge you have repurposed!

Then you need to think about fermenters!

Hi!
I use the ACE boiler. I've added a further layer of insulation (exercise mat) around the outside of the boiler.
The advantage of using a bag is that you don't have to run off the wort into another container before boiling.
I use the false bottom with a pressure cooker seal laying on top of it, and I've mashed successfully without a bag. I have to collect the first run-off and then the sparge liquor in a FV, clean out the ACE and transfer the wort back into the boiler.

Latest posts

Back