Bottle conditioning question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I’ve done around 18x AG brews now and not many repeat brews so a rather random mix with only one that was let’s say a little niche.
So very pleased so far.
All my brews are 4-5.5% and nothing really out there in recipes or techniques as I’m still learning. Pales, bitters, stouts and a couple of fest beers.
The element I’m puzzled by is the length of time each takes to come to its best? And not necessarily clear I mean tasting finished. The Greg Hughes book quotes ready to drink times of 4-5weeks but personally I’m finding most are not really good before 4 weeks after bottling so usually 7weeks plus.
So outside of super strong, sours etc. is there are normal period you would expect a batch to be out of the “green” period and resembling the target taste?

For bottle conditioned I find seven to eight weeks, (that being said I mostly keg my lower ABV beers these days and leave bottling for the 6% plus beers, and they do seem to condition a lot faster in a keg a 4% session bitter for example I find will be perfectly drinkable at two weeks and excellent at four).

What a good question.

There isn't a magic number 4 - 6 weeks is an average. I have a few bottles that are a few years old (5ish I think) and they are JUST starting to go over.

Your taste buds well vary, the mash varies, the ingredients vary, the weights vary, the hops vary.. I am sure you are where I am going with this 😁

What a good question.

There isn't a magic number 4 - 6 weeks is an average. I have a few bottles that are a few years old (5ish I think) and they are JUST starting to go over.

Your taste buds well vary, the mash varies, the ingredients vary, the weights vary, the hops vary.. I am sure you are where I am going with this 😁
Ok so I’m way too hasty and need to brew batches well ahead by a month or two at least. And leave some way longer to see what happens so I know for future brews.
I guess you seasoned pros plan ahead for most of the years brews and then throw in the spontaneous extras you fancy!

I can only speak for myself, but my drinking is few brews ahead of brewing.

Try a 12 crate rotation, 3 creates filled per brew. As soon as you get 2 empty put a mash on.... By the time the 3rd is empty you will be ready for bottling.. Hopefully.

Ps. Hanging your head under the fv is considered bad etiquette 😂😂

Conditioning time varies hugely with the ingredients of the beer. Hoppy, single malt beers are at their best very young because hop flavours and aromas fade quite quickly. On the other hand malt forward beers especially those with multiple grains and dark grains too take a few weeks for the flavours to mature.
Personally I like starting drinking all my beers young and enjoying the change as I slowly work my way through a brew.

Conditioning time varies hugely with the ingredients of the beer. Hoppy, single malt beers are at their best very young because hop flavours and aromas fade quite quickly. On the other hand malt forward beers especially those with multiple grains and dark grains too take a few weeks for the flavours to mature.
Personally I like starting drinking all my beers young and enjoying the change as I slowly work my way through a brew.
Thanks Cwrw, that explains why the 5.5% ESB I brewed for Xmas last year was still rough after 4 weeks in a PB at Xmas but it was pretty good by Feb. I’ve not tried a really hoppy brew yet or dry hopping but I’ll bear in mind the limited shelf life of the hop element.

Wheat beers 2 weeks ready to go.
Quads and imperial stouts... 3 months plus**
Saison 6 months.
Other beers age differently over time as @Cwrw666 says and I enjoy them as their taste changes. Hoppy kviek beers using voss have a great orange marmalade taste but fade after 4-5 months, yet the mellow into something less 'brash' and more balanced.
My dipa brewed with verdant yeast tasted of burnt rubber in the 1st month. 3 months later it had gone :cool:

** - I find I like these when young and sweet at around 3 months, then after 9 months they go through a licorice phase then at 18+ become plummy.
as I'm not a licorice fan I drink them from 3-9 months then revisit 9+ months later.

So a bit of forward planning to know when the beers taste at their best to/for you is something you'll pick up with experience. But always try a sample bottle of a batch every month or two i'd recommend.

Saison 6 months.
Other beers age differently over time as @Cwrw666 says and I enjoy them as their taste changes. Hoppy kviek beers using voss have a great orange marmalade taste but fade after 4-5 months, yet the mellow into something less 'brash' and more balanced.
My dipa brewed with verdant yeast tasted of burnt rubber in the 1st month. 3 months later it had gone :cool:

** - I find I like these when young and sweet at around 3 months, then after 9 months they go through a licorice phase then at 18+ become plummy.
as I'm not a licorice fan I drink them from 3-9 months then revisit 9+ months later.

So a bit of forward planning to know when the beers taste at their best to/for you is something you'll pick up with experience. But always try a sample bottle of a batch every month or two i'd recommend.
Saison 6 months.

Hi DOJ are you gifted with mystical powers as my next planned beers were kveik Marzen, impy stout, wheat and saison!!!!!. Looks like I’ve blown it for my planned Xmas impy stout then! Brewed the Marzen yesterday but will now brew wheat first, then Saison for next spring and impy stout last.
🍻

Latest posts

Back