Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Cleaning dirty old demijohns?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 28-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
GlynG

Default Cleaning dirty old demijohns?

Can dirty old demijohns be cleaned enough to be safely used for wine making? These two here have been up in the attic for many years, open with no top on. They've also spent some month sat outside with no top on. I bought two different sorts of bottle brush (one a specially angled one) and could try milton cleaning solution and lots of scrubbing. Would this be enough? Any tips? Or am I wasting my time and I should get new ones instead?
Attached Thumbnails
2017-11-22-1123.jpg   2017-11-22-1124.jpg  

Old 28-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4406 Times on 3336 Posts
Likes Given: 4636

Buy some sodium percarbonate (the active ingredient in oxy cleans) from ebay, it �£7 per kilo. Use 3tsp for 5L of near boiling water and it should do the job. If their really cruddy use a stronger solution of 1tsp/L

Some might suggest just buying oxy clean which you could do, but the stuff on ebay is 70% whereas oxy clean is 30% plus ebay SB doesnt have all the other crap in it for washing that us HBers dont need

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 28-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
Bigcol49

Liked 860 Times on 593 Posts
Likes Given: 253

Hi MyQul,
Do you use sodium percarbonate just to soak, or can it be used as a general purpose cleaner? (eg washing FVs with a sponge before sanitising). Is it skin friendly or do you need to wear marigolds?
Bernie Likes This 
Old 28-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcol49 View Post
Hi MyQul,
Do you use sodium percarbonate just to soak, or can it be used as a general purpose cleaner? (eg washing FVs with a sponge before sanitising). Is it skin friendly or do you need to wear marigolds?
I normally use it to soak to get at things I cant get at using elbow grease (like the inside of my yeast starter demijon after I've finished with it) or if I'm feeling lazy (cleaning my FV before puting the wort into it).
I'm not sure about it being skin friendly. I've got fairly hardy skin and dont bother using marigolds for star san let alone SC. All I know is it breaks down into environmentally friendly 'chemicals' oxygen, water and soda ash (baking soda) which you can of course eat, so it's probably fine for your hands unless your particularly sensitive

Old 28-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Saisonator

Liked 145 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Be careful how hot the water is, I poured some near boiling into one and the bottom dropped straight out of it.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 28-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisonator View Post
Be careful how hot the water is, I poured some near boiling into one and the bottom dropped straight out of it.

What I do is fill it half full with hot water from the tap. Then top up with a kettle full of boiling water then if there's any space left put more hot tap water in

Old 28-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
Saisonator

Liked 145 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
What I do is fill it half full with hot water from the tap. Then top up with a kettle full of boiling water then if there's any space left put more hot tap water in
I'll do that next time cheers. I guess the hot water hitting the base of mine caused it to expand quicker than the wall. Thus something had to give.
MyQul Likes This 
Old 28-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Ken L

Liked 122 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oxy is good but don't soak more than a couple of days as some people report it throwing a precipitate which is hard to remove.
I would also recommend warm (30 or 40 degrees) water with biological washing powder as the enzymes really chew up the hard to shift muck.
Either way, be sure to give a good soak with clean water to remove any residues. and be carefull because both oxy and washing powder make things very slippery.

Old 28-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
sdt7618

Liked 187 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Have found that Nappysan will shift anything, same idea as the washing powder but a throw back to cloth nappies for the kids.

Old 28-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdt7618 View Post
Have found that Nappysan will shift anything, same idea as the washing powder but a throw back to cloth nappies for the kids.
Looks like it's just oxy clean in different packaging. 'Oxygen based bleaching agents' sounds like sodium percarbonate to me

Ingredients

• Napisan contains amongst other Ingredients: 15 - 30% Oxygen Based Bleaching Agents, 5 - 15% Anionic Surfactants, <5% Polycarboxylates,
  • Other Ingredients: Optical Brighteners, Perfume

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/...an-powder-800g

sdt7618 Likes This