Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Best Young's American kit?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 28-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
GhostShip

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Default Best Young's American kit?

Hi all

I want to get another kit underway before Christmas and fancy trying one of the Young's American ale kits.

As I tend to like lighter, 'golden' beers with a clean taste and good hop hit, which would you recommend? I searched for reviews but couldn't find much.

It would be between American IPA, American Pale Ale and American Amber Ale. If you've done one or more of these, I'd be really grateful for a recommendation.

Thank you!

Old 28-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Pavros

Liked 99 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I've done the American IPA, American pale and red india ale and you can't go wrong with any of them to be honest. I think a lot of it depends on which hop combo you prefer:
AIPA: simcoe, chinook, centennial
APA: columbus, centennial
RIA: simcoe, nelson sauvin, mosaic (but only makes 30 pints)
Amber: pacific jade, cluster, summit

Be aware though that all of the ones I have done have taken at least 3 weeks in the fv and would probably take 4 weeks as it's cold now and I don't have any real temperature control.
GhostShip Likes This 
Old 28-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Clint

Liked 1104 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Done the apa and aipa..both good but different. The aipa was exactly consistent in og time to ferment and fg. It's a bit strong at 6.5 though to be necking it! It took nearly three weeks to ferment out but gets there!
GhostShip Likes This 
Old 28-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
terrym

Liked 1596 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Suggest you read through the reviews here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=61597
Remember that people have different palates. One man's 'best beer ever', may be undrinkable for the next man.
But if it's any help I thought the APA was better than the AIPA, but many will disagree with that I'm sure, demonstrating what I said earlier.
And presumably although you are intending to brew before Christmas, you are not intending to drink it at Christmas, there simply isn't enough time in my view to brew a decent pint even if you started it today.
Old 28-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
wfr42

Liked 318 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 351

Ipa>aaa>apa for me.

Currently rebrewing the youngs American mocha porter if you want a curve ball...

Depending on my mood the ipa and amp swap as my favourite youngs kits.

Conditioning
AG21 Classy blonde (Bottled 9/10)
AG20 Top dollar 80/- (Bottled 28/9)
Young's NWS
AG18 There's summit out there V2 (Bottled 29/4)
AG17 Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter (bottled 14/4)
Brewferm triple (bottled 19/3)
AG15/6 Blended Pilgrim SMaSH/crush
AG13 Maple bourbon porter (bottled 4/2)

my brewtube ramblings...https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAz...n_RbOnN8N51fpw
GhostShip Likes This 
Old 29-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
GhostShip

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
Suggest you read through the reviews here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=61597
Remember that people have different palates. One man's 'best beer ever', may be undrinkable for the next man.
But if it's any help I thought the APA was better than the AIPA, but many will disagree with that I'm sure, demonstrating what I said earlier.
And presumably although you are intending to brew before Christmas, you are not intending to drink it at Christmas, there simply isn't enough time in my view to brew a decent pint even if you started it today.
Not intending to drink at Christmas - I have 40 bottles of Cwtch to get through first!

I just want to get another brew underway and will give it plenty of time to ferment and condition.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Old 29-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
GDog

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I've only done the APA which isn't as hoppy as the IPA apparently, but is plenty hoppy for my taste.

The IPA may be ok for storing longer, as the hops dissipate in time
GhostShip Likes This 
Old 29-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
sdt7618

Liked 182 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Have done the amber, and really enjoy it, my first go at the IPA was aweful, so bad I chucked some but think it was most certainly my issue as was my second kit and think I left the hops in far to long
GhostShip Likes This 
Old 30-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
GhostShip

Popped over to my local HBS and have gone for the AIPA. Will post a review next year!
sdt7618 Likes This 
Old 30-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
AdeDunn

Liked 113 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShip View Post
Popped over to my local HBS and have gone for the AIPA. Will post a review next year!
If you like a really hoppy beer, then you won't regret your choice at all I am sure (so long as it had a good long date on the kit). This is one of the few kits I actually liked the beer from. Nice and bitter, with a lovely hit of juicy hops. Not much in the way of malt though, but I understand that that is typical of the style (not much from the malt in Dead Pony Club, Punk IPA or Elvis Juice either. ). It's even drinkable from the moment it's finished priming imho.... Again, I believe this is par for the style, the dry hop aroma actually fading the longer you leave it.

Somebody who massively prefers a seriously malty beer, with the hops playing a supporting role, however would probably find it revolting....

I'll look forward to your review next year. Having read a few of your posts so far though, I suspect you may find yourself looking into making the jump to BIAB next year. Like you I got fed up of spending money only to produce a nice pint of homebrew twang.... Not that I can taste any in the Youngs AIPA beers... Not yet anyway...

sdt, I left the hops in for a full 6 days, as at 4 it wasn't hoppy enough for me. Longer than this though would have probably ruined it.
GhostShip Likes This