Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > Saison?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
Leon103

Liked 820 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Yeah who needs a forum. Google has the answers

Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
AdeDunn

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I did a bit of research into the style myself Liam & Leon, and you know what I found? A bunch of best guesses... The one thing they all agree on? It was farmhouse ale made with whatever came to hand, in the French speaking region of Belgium. ALL of the Saisons out there now are creations, not originals.

Now don't get me wrong, my introduction to the style was Brewdog Electric India, which some folks would tell you is not saison. Tasted ruddy good though, so was the recipe I used for my first AG, switching out extra pale malt for a more "true to style" Belgian pilsen malt. You know what? I bottled it yesterday and already it's truly a delicious bit of beer.

So what am I getting at? Well a saison is a light coloured beer, usually made with either belgian ale yeast or a specific saison yeast, depending upon who you ask. So have fun, go to town, see what you get...

Here's a wild idea, stop caring about styles set by other people, experiment, find beers YOU like. Tweak existing recipes, enjoy the process and the result, stop caring what other people think as end of the day it's YOUR beer.

I was going to brew one myself today, but life decided nope.... Nowhere near style, as I plan to use a mix of Amarillo, mosaic and citra hops, non of which are in the slightest bit Belgian...... Bet it'll taste good though when I finally got around to it...

Old 03-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
jeg3

Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I did a saison recently and my take on the taste was a bit like a dry cider or a sparkling wine in terms of mouth feel, mine had some darker malt and low bitterness and was highly carbonated.

In contrast I've just bottled a Christmas ale using same yeast - WY3711 - which is more hopped and much less carbonated, so in the style of a British bitter, flavoured with orange and ginger. The first taste is lovely
People Like This 
Old 03-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #14
IainM

Liked 800 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg3 View Post
In contrast I've just bottled a Christmas ale using same yeast - WY3711 - which is more hopped and much less carbonated, so in the style of a British bitter, flavoured with orange and ginger. The first taste is lovely
That sounds very interesting.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #15
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 953 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Some of the comments there not terribly helpful, I think the first saison I ever tasted was home brewed, likewise my first bock, kolsch and Berliner weisse.

Anyway to answer your question, a saison is generally a dry, highly carbed ale with a citrusy fruit character, some spicy, peppery phenols and often a slight tartness. A typical saison has a simple recipe with most of the "saison character" coming from the yeast. If you want to try what is often considered the quintessential saison then look out for Dupont. It is beautifully simple but elegant.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #16
GerritT

Liked 103 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 561

First cider I tasted was a bought one, so I could check whether the 20 litres I had fermenting were tasting okay. 12 litres of mead are in secondary but I still don't know what it should taste like. Yes I have a bottle of mead, a hydromel, but haven't gotten around tasting it.
That's how thing sometimes go.
IPA? The bottle had an elephant on the label.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #17
IainM

Liked 800 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritT View Post
First cider I tasted was a bought one, so I could check whether the 20 litres I had fermenting were tasting okay. 12 litres of mead are in secondary but I still don't know what it should taste like. Yes I have a bottle of mead, a hydromel, but haven't gotten around tasting it.
That's how thing sometimes go.
IPA? The bottle had an elephant on the label.
Mead is a funny one. Most commercial examples are very sweet due to consumers expecting that when they buy a honey product. By all means they are perfectly good meads, but very narrow compared to what is traditional.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer
GerritT Likes This 
Old 03-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #18
dad_of_jon
Beer designer

Liked 1023 Times on 765 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

I've found the 3 saisons i've done to date have all been so much better than the commercial saisons I've tried. - electric india, m&s sorachi ace and nogne saison. So buying a commercial could put you off. I've found my saisons to be a bit too funky when young but they do age 3-4 months+ beautifully. If you do make one and think uurgh! - DO NOT THROW IT OUT - leave it for a few months then try!

Name-style-abv%- bottles

Yassim - RIS - 8% - 53
Duvalex - 100% extract triple-8.55% - 39
Ale Cid - golden ale/cider hybrid-6.7% - 2
Who's Garden? - belgian wit-5.58% - 1
Seasons to be cheerful pt 2 -Saison-7% - 2
King Kong - Big black Belgian Quad-12.86% - 10
East vs West - Belgian RIS-9% - 21
Risky Business II-8.2%- 8
Stealth triple-7.22% - 2
Ris-ky business-10.37% - 3
Sleighed in Belgium-9.3% - 3
jeg3 Likes This 
Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #19
meirion658

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've just done a saison and used both WLP and the Wyeast strains in the fermenter. They say they lag at about 1030 but mine went straight through. I based the recipe on a Dupont if you want the recipe pm me.

Last edited by meirion658; 03-12-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: .

Old 03-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #20
Zephyr259

Liked 91 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_of_jon View Post
I've found the 3 saisons i've done to date have all been so much better than the commercial saisons I've tried. - electric india, m&s sorachi ace and nogne saison. So buying a commercial could put you off. I've found my saisons to be a bit too funky when young but they do age 3-4 months+ beautifully. If you do make one and think uurgh! - DO NOT THROW IT OUT - leave it for a few months then try!
I'm with you there, Electric India is nice but the hops are probably more dominant than is traditional. I couldn't drink Nogne Saison, got barely halfway down the glass and it just tasted bad to me. Dupont is great but really mild in my experience.

I'll be tasting my first saison in a week or so. Based on the basic saison recipe from Farmhouse Ales using Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale, pilsner, munich and wheat with East Kent golding and Saaz; it was tasting very nice at bottling.

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette
Farmhouse Saison

Fermenting
Greg Hughes Bock

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-
dad_of_jon Likes This