‘Thin’ Beer advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephibaby

Reaction score
Hallo all,

I’ve had my Coopers Irish stout in bottles for 2 weeks now, and I thought I’d open the half bottle that I pulled off last, whilst I sent the other to condition in the garage until Christmas.

Taste was good, Carbonation was spot on, a nice ‘pop’ as I undid the flippy top, but the beer was very thin - the taste was nice however, and I know that will improve with time.

My question to the forums is this, will it ‘thicken’ up as it conditions?

I used 500g of Medium spray malt, 500g demerara sugar, and 454g golden syrup. I did brew it to 22L, and I know a the general consensus on the forums is to brew it short to 19-20L

Any info appreciated,

Seph

Adding sugars like sucrose and fructose to the wort will make the beer thinner, and cidery. To avoid that use bewing sugar (which is dextrose I think), or for more body stick with the spray malt extract. Kit beers improve quite a bit as they condition.

Last edited:
Adding sugars like sucrose and fructose to the wort will make the beer thinner, and cidery. To avoid that use bewing sugar (which is dextrose I think), or for more body stick with the spray malt extract. Kit beers improve quite a bit as they condition.
I don't think that's right. Sucrose is hydrolysed to glucose and fructose, dextrose is chemically identical to glucose. All those sugars ferment to exactly the same alcohol and CO2. Adding non fermentable sugars would increase the body. Malt extract or spray malt would contain a percentage of these. Adding lactose to the stout would also increase the body.

Last edited:
Back