Another newbie question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephibaby

Reaction score
Hallo again folks,

As I’m only on my second brew, I thought I’d seek a bit of advice.

I’ve done a coopers Irish stout with golden syrup, demerara, coffee, and medium spray malt.

It’s only been in the fermenter since Saturday evening, and as others have said on other threads, it was a feisty little bugger.

My OG was 1.045, and I’ve just checked it now at the same time as I’ve removed the Krausen Collar from the FV, and the gravity has dropped to 1.010, giving me about 4.6% ABV so far.

From peoples’ past experience of this particular kit, should I leave it a few more days, like the 7 they recommend on the packet, or just bottle the stuff now?

Thanks again :)

Hallo again folks,

As I’m only on my second brew, I thought I’d seek a bit of advice.

I’ve done a coopers Irish stout with golden syrup, demerara, coffee, and medium spray malt.

It’s only been in the fermenter since Saturday evening, and as others have said on other threads, it was a feisty little bugger.

My OG was 1.045, and I’ve just checked it now at the same time as I’ve removed the Krausen Collar from the FV, and the gravity has dropped to 1.010, giving me about 4.6% ABV so far.

From peoples’ past experience of this particular kit, should I leave it a few more days, like the 7 they recommend on the packet, or just bottle the stuff now?

Thanks again :)
I don't brew kits - but my view would be - don't rush it. In home brewing patience is a virtue

I suggest that you should leave it 2 more days to check the SG is stable - if it is, bottle it them

We have a basic rule in brewing which is 2 weeks to ferment and the yeast to clear up then 2 weeks in the bottle/keg to carbonate then 2 weeks to condition.
This is not cast in stone but is a good rule to follow/use especially as a beginner.
It may be fermented in 5 days but the yeast needs to clean up any impurities and then to settle out(at this point some cold crash it)

Excellent, swift response again chaps - I’ll bottle it on the 19th then, which means it should be ready for Chrimbo :D

Latest posts

Back