1 litre stout mini-brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesw

Reaction score
does anyone have any idea how i can make a stout but in a 1 gallon demijohn?

Ive not used all grain yet, but would dark or extra dark DME work?

I wanted to experiment with choc and or vanilla flavours, and more importantly, im not a big stout drinker so dont want 23l of it lying around!

cheers

The best way is to steep some roasted barley and/or black malt in water, remove the grains and boil it with hops and then add dme to it. Easy and effective. You can also add some chocolate and crystal malt, some stouts have one or both of those, Guinness doesn't. But it uses flaked barley to add body and head. You need to mash flaked barley. Crystal would add body and head. Dark crystal would work well.

Just find an extract stout recipe. And adjust the quantities- if its a 23 litre recipe, divide all the weights by 23 and then multiply by 4. Check you have about 5 litres before the boil starts.

The best way is to steep some roasted barley and/or black malt in water, remove the grains and boil it with hops and add then dme to it. Easy and effective. You can also add some chocolate and crystal malt, some malts have one or both of those, Guinness doesn't. But it uses flaked barley to add body and head. You need to mash flaked barley. Crystal would add body and head. Dark crystal would work well.

That sounds good. Always wanted to try a chocolate stout and I think that'll be the way to do it.

Latest posts

Back