1085 to 1020 in 48 hrs?!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombrewer

Reaction score
So I brewed 22l of a 1085 AG beer (a Nøgne Ø clone) on Monday, & pitched 2 packs rehydrated Notthingham that evening... all was starting to bubble away nicely yesterday morning at around 20 degrees ambient, though didnt notice what the temp strip was saying, & left for work... then got home to find a very high krausen, the airlock going fully nuts, & the temp strip stating around 24 degrees! got it straight in a water bath to try to bring the temp down, added cool water a couple of times that evening, then again this morning as it was back around 22, & airlock still going mental. got back a little while ago to find the airlock quietened down to once every ~8 secs & the krausen disappeared, so out of curiosity took a gravity reading -1020!!!

I guess I have some concerns about off flavours with the temp getting so high - especially the first day, when I don't REALLY know how hot it got - and I've also never had a brew seemingly almost ferment out in 48 hrs. still planning on keeping it in primary for two weeks & dry hopping the last five days, but is this behaviour normal for a high gravity brew? I've also never used Nottingham before, so don't really know how it behaves... did I also massively over-pitch the yeast with two packs?

The reason why it got so hot is that fermentation is exothermic, so lots of yeast and sugar and a rising temp will ferment very fast. I would be worried about the temp, the only godsend you may have is that the volume of yeast pitched may have reduced the growth phase which in turn will reduce the amount of fusel alcohol precursors made.

Nowt you can do now just wait to see how it tastes when it is finished.

Thanks guys, fingers crossed it'll still turn out okay... have had the FV raise by a couple of degrees above ambient before, but never this much... should have figured out that more fermentables & yeast in the same space = more heat though! For my next high gravity brew, it'll be into the water bath straight away :thumb:

Latest posts

Back