19/09/09 - Woolly Jumper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ano

Regular.
Reaction score
Because I don't get the chance to brew much and I might be moving sometime so wasn't sure when I'd be brewing again Barley Bottom's AG kits are a boon! No half bags of malt/hops hanging around. They're not really cheap, but p+p is included and they're comparable with 2 can kits but the beer's bound to be better, so I thihnk they represent good value. I chose the Woolly Jumper recipe and am aiming for 23 litres although Paul uses 80% efficiency when formulating the recipes and with it being me I probably won't hit it but we'll see.

As I write I'm about to get the water heated for the first top up but will update this post with pics when I have them and more info on the kit. Speak again soon.

Woolly Jumper

4kg Maris Otter
200g Crystal Malt 120L
150g Torrified Wheat
10g Roast Barley
42g Goldings, East Kent 5.8%AA 90 min Boil
12g Goldings, East Kent 5.8%AA 15 min Boil
25g Bobek 5.2%AA 1min boil
1 Protafloc Tablet 15 mins boil

1 pack of S-04 yeast.

Brewlength: 23 litres
OG: 1045
IBUs 33.9
ABV 4.5%

The kit comes with the grist already mixed so you can't check quantities of that other than total weight, but given that either every set of scales I have access to reads 10% over or BB supplies generous quantities I was more than happy to take it as a given. The hops are individually bagged for each addition as is the protafloc and yeast.
img2242iu.jpg

Next I got my other favourite brew on while I used the batch sparge calculator to work out just what I was doing. Who needs sight glasses when you can have barely legible scrawl on the side of your hlt. I have two marks for 20.5 litres. I've forgotten why but I think it was useful for batch sparging for a different brew length I did, but then realised I'd added too much... anyway that's that:
img2288h.jpg

Here's my mash tun preheating
img2290bb.jpg

The crush seemed a little floury, although I wouldn't call myself experienced in such things, and my efficiency ended up fine so I'm not complaining. Now I haven't been drinking this brew day and am absolutely sure this temperature was at the start of the mash (65C) but when I got back after 90 minutes it was 66, which is nice. Think I need a digital thermometer.
img2291.jpg

Anyway with the mash on I went and picked a pound of sloes and put them in the freezer to meet some gin when I can be bothered.
img2293ad.jpg

The three tier setup in all its glory. Sort of, in that the bottom one is my FV when it would ideally be a kettle but never mind.
img2292qg.jpg

Running off...
img2294u.jpg

I'll take that!
img2299t.jpg

Copper up
img2302h.jpg

Bittering hops added, note green fleck in bottom left hand corner...
img2304d.jpg

Leaf!
img2310d.jpg

Then my camera's battery died. Anyway... by taking a completely more chillaxed approach to my brewday and letting the batches settle properly before running off, running off slowly, and having great karma I got my 5 gallons at 1044 which is fine by me.

Comments on the kit: S'great. It comes with BB's phone number offering help if you get stuck and may even be a good way for the beginner to get one AG under their belt without having to buy sack after sack of malt they might not need. For the casual brewer like myself I like not having ingredients hanging around and assume he gets the throughput such that these kits aren't made up a million years before they're sold.

I made this kit a couple of months ago for my first ever All Grain. :D

What can I say, it was so easy and straightforward and the end result was fantastic. :D :D

Everyone who tried it said it was as good, if not better than some beer available in the pub.

I'm sure you will love it. Mine went in a king keg and didn't last very long.

:cheers:

Andrew

Was meant to bottle yesterday but left it a bit late and couldn't get some stubborn **** off the bottom of some bottles I'd lent and out and had returned unwashed! None for them next time. Also I've definately lost some bottles along the way. So bottling today then.

Latest posts

Back