1l reagent bottle for harvesting yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not had a problem with heating and cooling with my borosilicate flasks on a gas ring, so if it's the real deal it should be good....and yes these quality items are not cheap!

Kilner jars come in all sizes and can be autoclaved or sterilised in a pressure cooker tho i wldnt sit on a gas ring without a waterbath (dbl boiler)

I wouldn't heat a reagent bottle on the hob . . . they are great for autoclave use, but direct heat :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I've been looking for some Glass 2L Measuring cylinders that will not involve me selling a child or two . . . :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Aleman said:
I wouldn't heat a reagent bottle on the hob . . . they are great for autoclave use, but direct heat :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
Why is that? If they are borosilicate glass is it not ok, or are bottles made from thinner glass than Erlenmeyer flasks?

rpt said:
Aleman said:
Why is that? If they are borosilicate glass is it not ok, or are bottles made from thinner glass than Erlenmeyer flasks?
They are not designed, or intended, for direct heating, Conical, Round, and Flat Bottomed Flasks are . . . but then why on earth use something designed for the task in hand . . . we are brewers, it's much better to bodge something together . . . Why does it matter if someone is injured by flying pieces of hot glass!

Aleman said:
rpt said:
Aleman said:
They are not designed, or intended, for direct heating, Conical, Round, and Flat Bottomed Flasks are . . . but then why on earth use something designed for the task in hand . . . we are brewers, it's much better to bodge something together . . . Why does it matter if someone is injured by flying pieces of hot glass!

I think he may have a point :doh:

Thanks all for your input. I guess these won't do the trick then. I don't like bodging things; as Aleman said - we are brewers and we ought to do things properly! :cheers:

I already have a small array of conical flasks, but it would probably help if I specced out exactly what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for a vessel that I can harvest yeast into from a brew, at the very first stage. So I've left a bit of beer in the fermenter, swirled it around and I want to pour it into this vessel to keep in the fridge. The spec I need is:

1 or 2 litre capacity.
Closeable
Graduated, so I know how much yeast I have.
Sanitizable without an autoclave (because I don't have one), so must either go on the hob or in the microwave to boil water in it.
Tall form, so it will fit upright, in my fridge door.

I guess a tall form borosilicate beaker would fit the bill, though I would like something with a lid if poss. Any ideas?

Not directly but with a pressure cooker you could sanitise, or stand in a shallow pan with a boiling water bath.. i would go for the kilner variant tho as mason jar lids can rust, while if the kilner lid clamp rusts its totally external..

With a pressure cooker (autoclave) you can sterilise, other methods will sanitise. Are the rubber seals in a Kilner jar ok to autoclave?

Can I just point out that sealing a jar with yeast in it can be a bad idea, unless you know it has finished fermenting :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I was only thinking of using jars to store sterile wort.

I once stored a sourdough bread starter in a sealed Kilner jar. Despite the airtight seal, the starter still managed to escape.

Well, I've ordered a 1 litre borosilicate beaker. The dimensions are about right to fit in my fridge, and I'll just use foil over the top to stop anything falling in. I'm only going to do this if I know I'm going to use the yeast quickly, so I'm not bothered about long term storage.

rpt said:
I was only thinking of using jars to store sterile wort.

I did this on last Saturday's brewday, dropped some boiling hot wort into the kilner jar to cool for the yeast. When it came time to take the lid off I had to prise it off because the cooling wort had created a vacuum, but at least it was sterile :thumb:

Latest posts

Back