First post, first brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryF

Brew Numpty
Reaction score
Hello all, just a quick post to say Hi, and run my plans for my first brew past you all and please feel free to give any advice you can. I'd much rather any hardship in the process before I start brewing rather than when I'm having my first taste. Anyway, I've been scouting around on here and on Youtube about how to do my first brew, I've decided to go with the Coopers kit as a first outing but as with all the best laid plans I've had to adapt. I had been looking at the Coopers starter kit with Tesco Direct for £52 which was by far the best price I could find but it's just permanently out of stock but I still want to go with the Coopers. I found a starter kit on Ebay for £37.95:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Brew...pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item35ddb93b3e

These guys have clocked up nearly 80,000 sales with 100% feed back so I'm going to chance it. For the rest I went back to Tesco direct and I've managed to get :

2 x Coopers carbonation drops for - £4.43
2 x Coopers brew enhancer No.1 - £8.25
24 x Oxbar 500ml bottles (with caps) - £7.13
2 x Coopers DIY starter kit lager - £20.25
2 x 1l Milton Sterilizing fluid - £4.90

This gives me a grand total of £82.91 which I'm hoping should see me through my first two brew and if Coopers themselves are to be believed and I get forty pints a go that's a £1 a pint (and it's been a very long time since I paid a £1 a pint for anything). At the moment it's totaling at £16.47 or there about for my subsequent brews.
My two main concerns are firstly sterilization, everybody stresses how important that is, everything that will touch the beer has to be sterilized correctly, right down to sterilizing the tin opener you open the malt extract with. My worry is getting it right and not screwing up my brew but in the absence of a coach I'll go overboard and just give it my best shot. Secondly, I do have a concern about temperature, being December/January in London and with an empty house during the day I'm worried about the brewing process slowing down on the colder days but I suppose that I'll have to see how that goes unless anyone has any ideas about cheap heating pads or bands. Would this just be a case of the process slowing down this time of year but still completing eventually?
Any tips or suggestions would be very welcome and if there are any links within the forum that you think I should be reading as a complete novice please point them out.
I haven't started ordering anything as of yet but I am fair chomping at the bit to get going but I will wait for any feedback I get before doing so.

Thanks in advance,
LarryF.

The guys on ebay you have found are my local shop in York - they do a lot of online through their own online store (as well as Ebay) but also have a small bricks and mortar store.

They do a starter kit which includes the coopers lager kit and 1kg of brewing sugar, carbonation drops etc included on their online store - has everything you need for your first 40pt brew:
http://www.home-brew-online.com/starter-kits-c47/beer-lager-c50/coopers-complete-kit-lager-p838

You also get a bottling wand which makes filling the bottles really easy when the time comes !

Good Luck with your 1st brew and welcome to the forums.

You sound like you've done excellent research, larryF!

The only thing I would suggest is that you get yourself some no-rinse sanitiser (eg star san) instead of the Milton. It makes everything much easier and you don't risk your beer tasting of chemicals.

Newbie here from Edinburgh .
Got the coopers kit from tesco for £52with more or less the same extras as yourself Larryf. Used the Milton aswell.
After a week I decanted to the bottles although I havent a clue what the Abv is of my Australian lager.
Will give it at least two weeks before tasting.
Also bought Geordie Scottish export and John bull IPA , not sure which one of the two I'm going to do next although I'll start it in a couple of day's.

The Milton is no rinse - I started out with it.

I moved to Star San quickly though as it's easier/cheaper/faster and... it keeps for a while made up (think the Milton was only good for 24hrs).

Nothing wrong with the Milton though if you've already purchased.

Biggest tip I could give you and probably one of the cheapest is invest a couple of quid in a cheap digital thermometer at Amazon. Don't guess your flat temps. You can get one for about £8 that will record your min & max throughout the day so you'll know what your high's and low's are.

Oh.... and welcome :drink:

The Milton is no rinse - I started out with it.

I moved to Star San quickly though as it's easier/cheaper/faster and... it keeps for a while made up (think the Milton was only good for 24hrs).

Nothing wrong with the Milton though if you've already purchased.

Biggest tip I could give you and probably one of the cheapest is invest a couple of quid in a cheap digital thermometer at Amazon. Don't guess your flat temps. You can get one for about £8 that will record your min & max throughout the day so you'll know what your high's and low's are.

Oh.... and welcome :drink:

Baggybill intrigued to hear about the thermometers. Can you recommend one that records the mins and maxes please? I want one!

Tbf113 looking forward to hearing how your lager turns out, if you remember please message me to let me know how you get on with your first taste as I'll only be a few weeks behind you.

Still not tried it yet Larryf. Probably try it on Sunday that'll be two weeks in the bottle
Also have John bull ipa in the fc.

Latest posts

Back