4 in 5

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
so got some time off work and the cellar is running alittle low, in an effort to push on with my brewing learning i decided to do 4 brew days in 5 days All were Brew in a bag with my 33l pot and only really looking to do 9l to 10l batches as i didn't want to push the domestic gas beyond its capabilities! today it happily boiled 15 litres or so! will try and increase it as i go.
All brews went to plan, i wrote in advance a plan and stuck with it, i had purchased 10kg of base malt and some other various malts Crystal 30 and some roasted malts for the Black Ale.
Still learning and enjoying the process did my largest batch today!

Did upload some pics!! they may turn up

view
view
view

All in all happy with the results the bazooka on the boil pot is working great!

Cheers D

Great way of getting to learn your process, unfortunately my day didn't work out for myself.
I've had to brew a second batch today for a local competition in November which is currently in the mash tun and first is on the stove.
Messed up timings,temps and had a stuck mash as I thought the grain bag was in whilst stirring and directing my son on how to change a tyre on his brothers bike.
So late night tonight again though would normally do two or three on a brew day as all the equipment is out but everyday is a school day [emoji106]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

so got some time off work and the cellar is running alittle low, in an effort to push on with my brewing learning i decided to do 4 brew days in 5 days All were Brew in a bag with my 33l pot and only really looking to do 9l to 10l batches as i didn't want to push the domestic gas beyond its capabilities! today it happily boiled 15 litres or so! will try and increase it as i go.
All brews went to plan, i wrote in advance a plan and stuck with it, i had purchased 10kg of base malt and some other various malts Crystal 30 and some roasted malts for the Black Ale.
Still learning and enjoying the process did my largest batch today!

Did upload some pics!! they may turn up

view
view
view

All in all happy with the results the bazooka on the boil pot is working great!

Cheers D

Interesting post.

One of the enduring myths of brewing is the need for a ferocious boil. Much of this seems to surround the efficiency of sparging vs the outcome strength of the beer.

It is a fact that you can brew beer as good on a stove top set-up, with a bubbling sort of boil, as can actually be brewed. Few doubts around that.

What attracts HB's to big set-ups is the fact that you can get 2.5 times (or as much as 20 times!) the outcome (beer) from little more actual time and effort.

If these turn out OK, and that can take a little while, even with AG brewing, you can carry on with it a few times, or move to a slightly larger scale.

Great way of getting to learn your process, unfortunately my day didn't work out for myself.
I've had to brew a second batch today for a local competition in November which is currently in the mash tun and first is on the stove.
Messed up timings,temps and had a stuck mash as I thought the grain bag was in whilst stirring and directing my son on how to change a tyre on his brothers bike.
So late night tonight again though would normally do two or three on a brew day as all the equipment is out but everyday is a school day [emoji106]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Mine nearly started badly when i realised i hadn't put the Bazooka in the pot, there was 20 litres in warming when i noticed so i dipped my little finger in and fitted it :doh:

Interesting post.

One of the enduring myths of brewing is the need for a ferocious boil. Much of this seems to surround the efficiency of sparging vs the outcome strength of the beer.

It is a fact that you can brew beer as good on a stove top set-up, with a bubbling sort of boil, as can actually be brewed. Few doubts around that.

What attracts HB's to big set-ups is the fact that you can get 2.5 times (or as much as 20 times!) the outcome (beer) from little more actual time and effort.

If these turn out OK, and that can take a little while, even with AG brewing, you can carry on with it a few times, or move to a slightly larger scale.

Must admit i am considering fitting a good kettle element when money and time allows! then i could place it right in the centre of the hob under the extractor, anyone think this is a better idea that gas? todays brew has possible abv of 7.2% so very happy with that.

At the moment i am trying out different hop combos but defo i will be scaling up these if the come out ok! and using clear 5l bottles is teaching me about the fermenting process.

D

I have a 32l stock pot and started brewing 15l batches. The secrets to brewing bigger amounts on a domestic cooker are......................1: Mash and drain then pop the bag into an FV and add about 6l of extra water to rinse the sugars out. This gives you a bigger volume of wort to boil because once the grain is removed you have more space in the pot.
2: Boil with the lid on. Less steam for your loved ones to moan about. Less loss of volume and the domestic stove can manage it better due to less loss of heat. With Maris otter you don't get any problems with DMS. This may not be the case for all malts.
3: Don't waste any liquid. Tip the lot in. Any waste products will settle in the FV anyway.

I regularly brew 23l in the FV but have managed nearly 25l with some Saison brews. I would encourage you to be ambitious.

i thought boiling with the lid on was a no no??? i thought the idea was for some nasties to be boiled off (some kind of sulphate or something)
Might be talking utter tosh though

I have a 32l stock pot and started brewing 15l batches. The secrets to brewing bigger amounts on a domestic cooker are......................1: Mash and drain then pop the bag into an FV and add about 6l of extra water to rinse the sugars out. This gives you a bigger volume of wort to boil because once the grain is removed you have more space in the pot.
2: Boil with the lid on. Less steam for your loved ones to moan about. Less loss of volume and the domestic stove can manage it better due to less loss of heat. With Maris otter you don't get any problems with DMS. This may not be the case for all malts.
3: Don't waste any liquid. Tip the lot in. Any waste products will settle in the FV anyway.

I regularly brew 23l in the FV but have managed nearly 25l with some Saison brews. I would encourage you to be ambitious.

Great stuff that is the advice i am looking for, i did do my first biab a while ago and did a dunk sparge in a seperate 20l pot i had, but then since i got the big 33l pot i have just put the total water in and squeezed as much as i could get out! think i will defo bring back the dunk sparge from now on.
Defo happy to push the limits! i did build a cooler box mash tun as the cooler was going cheap near me, but not quite ready to take the plunge yet!! also looked at the Maxi technique that i am also interested in.

for sure, next time i will try that method.
Any further tips on water volumes for a 23l would be really appreciated.

Cheers D

Back