40l buffalo boiler a bit broke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoperson

Reaction score
Hello i am new to posting in this forum but have used it for a while to help me with a few questions and problems i have had in the past but now i am stuck and in need some help. I have a 40l buffalo boiler I had a nice rolling boil going for about 20 mins then it just cut out on me and wont start/heat anything. I have replaced the original tap with a ball valve and have a hop strainer (followed this viewtopic.php?f=30&t=36636} in there could that have caused the element to over heat and blow ? there is no sugar caramelized on the plate at the bottom and the thermostat clicks when it hits the water temp in the boiler ( i checked this with a thermometer) there are no lights on and i can feel some heat around the base of the boiler when its on but nothing significant. any help would be appreciated

It sounds like the thermal fuse has blown. Funny enough I just brought a higher rated one from maplins today. Have a search, there is plenty on the subject and some pics :thumb:

Also check the fuse in the plug :thumb:

Edit: changed thermal cut out to read thermal fuse :doh:

Thanks for the reply plug was the first thing I checked. Will have a look at the thermal cut out thingy :cheers:

:wha: sorry to be dense but if i were to replace it with one of these Ceramic Thermostat Switch from amazon
B00BG8TNAS
i may be able to solve the problem? :electric:

:doh: sorry re read the post i have a thermal fuse rated to 240C one broke on my car a while back and i bougt 2 in case i screwed it up :grin:

joe1002 said:
It sounds like the thermal cut out has blown. Funny enough I just brought a higher rated one from maplins today. Have a search, there is plenty on the subject and some pics :thumb:

Have you got a link to the one you got from maplin? My boiler cuts out after 55 minutes, I'd rather not remove the cut out totally just to get another 5 minutes boil

Duncs said:
joe1002 said:
It sounds like the thermal cut out has blown. Funny enough I just brought a higher rated one from maplins today. Have a search, there is plenty on the subject and some pics :thumb:

Have you got a link to the one you got from maplin? My boiler cuts out after 55 minutes, I'd rather not remove the cut out totally just to get another 5 minutes boil
Sorry, I meant to say thermal fuse in my first post, go to the first post on second page in the link I posted above. The link is something like 184c :thumb:

I will be replacing the thermal fuse and taping the thermal cut out away from the element at the weekend.

Latest posts

Back