7 day wine kit advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarvi

Reaction score
I have just started making wine after a break of over 20 years, so have virtually forgotten everything I learnt back then! I have 2 x 7 day wine kits fermenting on a hotplate. The 1st one has been on for 10 days and the airlock is still bubbling but only about once every minute. Is now the time to check with the hydrometer, and if the reading is ok take it off the hotplate?

Welcome back.

If the reading is at the point the instructions tell you to stabilise it then yes take it off, i have a feeling at a bubble a minute it will still need a couple of days.

Ignore the 7 day description on the kits (i don't know why they do that) i don't think i have ever had a wine ready to drink in 7 days. :wink:

Thanks Chippy. I thought that 7 days would not be long enough. I'll leave it a couple more days as you suggest then take a reading.

I usually wait until i don't see a bubble for 2 minutes and call it done i don't take a reading as i always make the same kind of wine (juice type may vary) and they are always below .995 at this stage.

If you haven't already seen it have a look at this thread and save some money - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

ok Good point. Yes I've seen the wow recipes. I have started these 2 x 7 dayers just to make sure that I am doing things right after a 20 year break. Being a Yorkshireman and careful with money, for my next brew I am going to try the Rose recipe as it will work out a lot cheaper than a kit.

Took the wine off the hotplate just over a week ago, cleared and settled. Tried a small glass today- lovely. Just wondering how long can I leave it in the Demijohn before bottling? I haven't enough bottles yet and don't fancy drinking 6 bottles worth over a few days.

Took the wine off the hotplate just over a week ago, cleared and settled. Tried a small glass today- lovely. Just wondering how long can I leave it in the Demijohn before bottling? I haven't enough bottles yet and don't fancy drinking 6 bottles worth over a few days.

If you aren't going to drink any out, you can keep it in the DJ for months, the longer the better apparently until you need the DJ for another brew, then bottle, drink.

Or you could buy a re-useable bag in a box, our local place does them for £1.99 and it holds 6 bottles.

I have managed to drink 3 bottles and bottled the rest - Another question - When I did my last wine brew before this (20 years ago) I think I missed putting the stabiliser into the wine, consequently all the corks popped out of the bottles and I lost the lot. I have put this batch into screw top bottles, but if I made the same mistake in future with the stabiliser is it possible that the bottles could explode/shatter?

but if I made the same mistake in future with the stabiliser is it possible that the bottles could explode/shatter?

That would depend on which gives first the cap thread or the bottle itself, not something i would want to test, having experienced the loss i doubt you will forget again. :wink:

Latest posts

Back