A couple of questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryF

Brew Numpty
Reaction score
Evening all, just wanted to ask a couple of questions:
Since January I've been brewing a pimped (on sale) kit every two weeks, the plan is that I brew so much that everything gets four months in the bottle before I drink it, not that it's working yet but I live in hope. So my first question is that I'm thinking of brewing every three weeks instead of two and leaving my beers in the FV for a three week period. Can anyone advise the pros and cons of fermenting a kit for three weeks?
Secondly, I've just bought my second Coopers Stout (blow off tube at the ready, I found the tubing that comes with a battery operated pump ideal. The tubing is a snug fit in the grommet in my airlock hole ) I'm thinking 1kg Beer Enhancer and 1lb of Lyons Treacle but I'd like to hop it with a tea in the wort and a dry hop five days before bottling. What hops to use with a stout? I currently have some Aramis and German Cascade hops but I wouldn't mind buying a couple more 100g bags. At the moment I have Wherry that's been in for a week, I have a Coopers Stout, a John Bull IPA and a Youngs harvest lager waiting in the wings and I'm wondering what would be the best hops to use across all three brews i.e. what additions and what to use with what?

Be careful with that treacle, I've heard a whole tin can be way overpowering! If you have a John Bull IPA in stock and you're looking for something a bit different and potent, use the search or look at todays posts for Cerberus Imperial Stout. Next up on my list :D

Pros/Cons of fermenting a kit (or any brewing style for that matter) fo three weeks

Pros: The yeast have more time to clean themselves up. You quite often read this in posts but often theres no accompanying explantion of what clean themselve up actually means. Yeast produce a lot of different compounds during the initial part of fermentation. They also have the ability to reabsorb a lot of them - this is the 'cleaning up' process

Cons: errm...You have to wait longer to drink your beer. Tbh con-wise there's not really any difference between two weeks and three weeks

British stouts aren't generally hoppy. They are just bittered with hops, so you don't need to add hops to a kit. If you do want some hop flavour, Bramling Cross, Goldings, Brewers Gold, Northdown and Fuggles are all good choices. The Aramis would probably be fine.

American stouts are full of hop flavour. I've had some that have been great. Cascade is a good choice. So are Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe etc. But powerful hops like these in a stout are not to everyone's taste.

Latest posts

Back