A few clearing questions.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just made a load of Cranberry Wow. all went well and was put into demijohns in the conservatory for temp storage.

Evan though I had cleared the wine and was happy with the results, a very fine layer of deposits has appeared at the bottom of the demi's. It was clearing for a week in the kitchen and I used 2 part kwik ckear finings.The conservatory is very cold at this time of the year, so could the temperature (cold) aid clearing?. Should I put the wine in a cold area for clearing in the first place? I've never had any probs before.

Also sorry for the questions, does anyone use gelatine? if so how did it go? sheet or powder and what ratio did you mix?

I'm only trying to save work as I'm going to have to rack it off again.

Cheers all :?:

Cool will usually aid clearing, cold might cause problems of its own. Some juice wines are susceptible to chill hazes from proteins, this can be reduced or averted by using one of the yeast compounds which contain bentonite, or adding some at the start of fermentation.

I always get a tiny bit of sediment when I put my finings in,maybe its just abit I dragged up when racked the 1st time.. when cleared I rack off that sediment into another vessel with CT and leave it there until bottling time

Latest posts

Back