a question about OG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian...

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to wine making but done some very drinkable WOW variations. I have just put a blueberry/red grape juice wow on and added 1kg gran sugar. I should have added 500g and took a reading and taken it up in steps but neglected to do so through sheer impatience. subsequently, the OG is 1202 which gives an estimated ABV of around 26%!(assuming a reading of around 990).

1. Is this actually possible?
2. Will the sugar overwhelm the yeast and knock it out?
3. Should I add 2 tsps of yeast rather than the usual 1?

Many thanks folks. Great site!

Ian... said:
I'm pretty new to wine making but done some very drinkable WOW variations. I have just put a blueberry/red grape juice wow on and added 1kg gran sugar. I should have added 500g and took a reading and taken it up in steps but neglected to do so through sheer impatience. subsequently, the OG is 1202 which gives an estimated ABV of around 26%!(assuming a reading of around 990).

What were the exact ingredients and brands of what you put in? It sounds very unlikely that you have hit that sort of OG by only adding 1kg of sugar.

What hydrometer do you have? I've never seen a beer/cider/wine one go that high.

Ian... said:

ScottM said:
Ian... said:

What were the exact ingredients and brands of what you put in? It sounds very unlikely that you have hit that sort of OG by only adding 1kg of sugar.

What hydrometer do you have? I've never seen a beer/cider/wine one go that high.
1L of ocean spray blueberry and 1L of Morrisons red grape juice.
The hydrometer is just a bog standard one from a home brew shop and the readings finish at 1200 but my rocket fuel was a bit higher... estimating at the 02.

My previous wows using similar branded ingredients have had OGs of 1120 and 1130 with 850g of sugar so it kind of fits.
Cheers

have you checked your hydrometer in plain water ?

Ian... said:
[quote="Ian...":u3d1i92m]I'm pretty new to wine making but done some very drinkable WOW variations. I have just put a blueberry/red grape juice wow on and added 1kg gran sugar. I should have added 500g and took a reading and taken it up in steps but neglected to do so through sheer impatience. subsequently, the OG is 1202 which gives an estimated ABV of around 26%!(assuming a reading of around 990).

ScottM said:
Ian... said:

1L of ocean spray blueberry and 1L of Morrisons red grape juice.
The hydrometer is just a bog standard one from a home brew shop and the readings finish at 1200 but my rocket fuel was a bit higher... estimating at the 02.

My previous wows using similar branded ingredients have had OGs of 1120 and 1130 with 850g of sugar so it kind of fits.
Cheers[/quote:u3d1i92m]

Are you sure you haven't made a mistake reading the hydrometer or a mistake with a typo or something as 1.200 is miles off the scale of what I see as being possible. 150g of sugar won't take a gravity from 1.1 to 1.2.

Here is a little example of just what you face...

To reach 1.100 in a volume of 5L you need to add 1400g of sugar.
To reach 1.200 in a volume of 5L you need to add 2800g of sugar.

Either the 1KG was actually 2.5kg or there is something wrong somewhere.

My money is on the hydrometer being read wrong as I haven't seen a hydrometer with a scale that size. It would need to be about 2ft long.

Yup, your hydro's knackered.

1l of ocean spray = 106g
1l morrisons rgj = 148g
+ one kilo of granulated gives an estimated OG of 1.096.

In 4l prior to topping up that would be 1.120.

Assuming you just used 2l juice and a kilo of sugar and NO WATER you'd get around 1.240...

...but you wouldn't have done that.

calumscott said:
Yup, your hydro's knackered.

1l of ocean spray = 106g
1l morrisons rgj = 148g
+ one kilo of granulated gives an estimated OG of 1.096.

In 4l prior to topping up that would be 1.120.

Assuming you just used 2l juice and a kilo of sugar and NO WATER you'd get around 1.240...

Does your hydrometer go up that high Calum?

My thinking is that the 1.120 is indeed correct and that the second "1" is being ignored giving 1.200 figure.

ScottM said:
calumscott said:

I have no idea... I've never been close enough to the bottom of the scale to know!! :lol:

ScottM said:
My thinking is that the 1.120 is indeed correct and that the second "1" is being ignored giving 1.200 figure.

The OP said it's gone off the bottom of the scale though!

BINGO - the Stevenson Reeves ones top out at 1.120. So its' 2l juice, 1kg sugar, 4l total = 1.122... :thumb:

calumscott said:
ScottM said:
calumscott said:

I have no idea... I've never been close enough to the bottom of the scale to know!! :lol:

ScottM said:

The OP said it's gone off the bottom of the scale though!

BINGO - the Stevenson Reeves ones top out at 1.120. So its' 2l juice, 1kg sugar, 4l total = 1.122... :thumb:

Thought so, mine is 1.120. I can't imagine a beer/wine hydrometer that goes that high, you are into badword D territory there ;)

Thanks for your input folks. I'm still confused as even if I have read the hydro wrong, the reading was just off the scale.....???? and whilst a reading of 1120 would seem the most logical mistake, that would not be off the scale. I'll check things out again tonight. Many thanks for your thoughts.

Ian... said:
nd whilst a reading of 1120 would seem the most logical mistake, that would not be off the scale

A reading of 1.122 would be though... assuming of course you have a standard Stevenson Reeves hydrometer like just about everyone does. And 1.122 is within the bounds of probability assuming around 4l total liquid in your DJ which we assume you did to prevent your wine exiting via the airlock... :thumb:

calumscott said:
Ian... said:
nd whilst a reading of 1120 would seem the most logical mistake, that would not be off the scale

A reading of 1.122 would be though... assuming of course you have a standard Stevenson Reeves hydrometer like just about everyone does. And 1.122 is within the bounds of probability assuming around 4l total liquid in your DJ which we assume you did to prevent your wine exiting via the airlock... :thumb:

AH!!! Of course! The bleedin' DJ is not full is it? Of course. So that now begs the question, how can you take an OG reading. Faffing about filling up the DJ, take a reading, then take out 1L, bottle it in a sterile bottle and return it to the DJ when the frothing has died down, I suppose.

I reckon the mystery is solved. Many thanks... and another lesson learned.

Ian... said:
So that now begs the question, how can you take an OG reading. Faffing about filling up the DJ, take a reading, then take out 1L, bottle it in a sterile bottle and return it to the DJ when the frothing has died down, I suppose.

or you could volume adjust your OG,

i am sure there is an easier formula but i use ((OG-1) / (Desired volume/Current volume))+1

Back