A suggested brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longhead23

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have only done a few kits so far, Young’s American Oaked Rum Ale, Young’s American IPA and I have just bottled a Razorback IPA. I don’t have the equipment to do BIAB or All-Grain brews but am looking for something a little more.

As well as a hop bomb, I do like a nice strong stout, and it was suggested to me that I try the following: -

“I would personally add some dark black treacle about half a can and 1 kg of dark malt extract either dry or liquid, I would also dry hop with First Gold and add a cup of good quality dark espresso coffee. The kit itself has been pre hopped with Galena hops which is citrusy but not overpowering, by adding First Gold (leaf) you will bring in a gentle spicy flavour which complements the Galena really well. With the additions you can expect an ABV of about 5.8% on a 40 pint/23 litres brew, if you reduce the total brew to 32 pints/19 litres expect 6.3-6.5% with strong malty flavours, a good punchy aftertaste with subtle coffee bitterness undertones.”

I would very much like your thoughts on this.

Cheers

I have seen videos where they only put a spoonful in. Not exactly the same stuff but i put too much molasses in a batch before and that was undrinkable. Golden syrup would be my choice and cold steep some roast malts and add that. 200g of roast barley in 1.5l of cold water left overnight.Then strain and boil for 10m.

Back