Abbey Ale Yeast in a Sweet Stout...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnymorris

Landlord.
Reaction score
totally inappropriate or not?

I made a Dubbel in October which I'm just starting into now and it's great. Probably the best beer I've made to date and most likely down to using White Labs Abbey Ale yeast (WLP530). I've already re-used the yeast in a Triple which is currently fermenting but I'm now planning my next brew and it's going to be a sweet stout. I was going to use Nottingham yeast but the 530 is so good I'm considering using it in the stout.

What do you reckon?

I would do it! Gotta be worth a go, what's the worst that can happen? And I bet it will turn out great. Maybe split the batch, half 530 half Nottingham.

You might find the Abbey Ale yeast will attenuate a lot more than Notty. You might end up with a dry rather than sweet stout. I've made a stout with WY 3787 and it was good. T

Asalpaws said:
dry rather than sweet...
I'm planning on mashing at 69degC and using lactose so even if it does attenuate well it'd be doing well to turn out dry wouldn't it? I think I'm going to go for it either way. It's a great yeast.

We just had a pale in made with Belgian Trappist yeast and it was awesome. I'm all for swapping yeasts around these days, it's a great way to make something original and new without much risk. :thumb:

To be fair whatever it turns out be should be good. I'm also a massive fan of all things Belgian!

Latest posts

Back