Adding isinglass or gelatine at bottleing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carpersbrewing

Reaction score
Hi guys quick question, has anyone on here tried adding gelatine or isinglass to the bottling bucket and then bottling straight away, so that you fine the beer in the bottle? Or is it best to just do it in secondary and leave it for a few days till it clears? Just want to know if it will make any difference to the final product and want to reduce the amount of time the been has to be in contact with oxygen.

Thanks

My guess is its a very bad idea its designed so the trub settles at the bottom of a cask (but not stick to it) so it never makes it into the beer while in a bottle it will just let it get poured out with the beer.

Out with of pouring it into a glass. I would think it’s fiddly and hard to be accurate with small amounts of isinglass, but it would work. I remember doing finings tests with small quantities of beer (500ml) and a seringue to measure finings. Painful.

Hi guys quick question, has anyone on here tried adding gelatine or isinglass to the bottling bucket and then bottling straight away, so that you fine the beer in the bottle? Or is it best to just do it in secondary and leave it for a few days till it clears? Just want to know if it will make any difference to the final product and want to reduce the amount of time the been has to be in contact with oxygen.

Thanks
As said above a bad idea, cold crash for a couple of days at -1 or-2 C or leave it for longer at a cool temperature. If you are still getting cloudy/hazy beer look at your mashing and sparging regime.

I've done it and it's useless. As soon as you open the bottle and bubbles form they lift the fininings off the bottom and you've got the jacuzzi at a swingers' party effect. I had to pour the beers through a sieve.

I'd forgotten about this. I'm going to use haribo for bottle priming so I might end up with the same effect. Still doing it, though.

Latest posts

Back