Brewing a second bucket but lack bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redredwine

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am normally brewing Wheat Beer and its worked out great, super beer and great value, not much effort at all.
Now I wanted to repeat, which is fine, but I wanted to do 2 buckets this time, the 2nd being a Stout.
Normally I would take the the bucket contents, when fermented and put it straight into 24 x 1L bottles which I have got.
But if I brew a 2nd bucket, they will both need bottling at the same time. But I don't have another set of bottles. I would have to wait for the 24x bottles to be drunk.
What do people recommend, I could leave it in the plastic bucket and bottle it down the line, I think it won't be such a good vacuum as a bottle, so some of the gas might go.
Plus if its left in a plastic bucket, that might affect the flavour ?
What does everyone think, am I over-thinking it ? Or should I stick to 1 and do the 2nd later in the year. Just the temperature is perfect now for the fermentation.........

If you make 2 batches, you are going to need more bottles or a barrel.

You can delay the inevitable by racking the stout to the 2nd fermenter and putting in cool place to clear - buying you time to get more bottles.

I was going to say: - When I was a lad.... but it was only a few years ago.

We had just bought the farmhouse and I was brewing in D&G. I'd left a box of skittles in Glasgow (Coopers PET bottles). So ended up dragging out all sorts of bottles out. Id've lost so much time sorting them out. I ended up using 2l pop (PET) bottles. Washing and bottling was a dream, but you need to be drinking with friends @ 16 units a bottle. None of this - I'll just have a wee beer before dinner.

As said...buy or salvage some bottles from recycling boxes or the pub. Another route is pressure barrels although they can take some fettling to behave.
The key to beer stocks is to work out how much you drink x brew time x conditioning time = rolling stock.
If you drink 10 beers a week,that's 40 a month,so if you just brewed 40,next month you'd be out. If that 40 took 2 weeks to brew,2 to carbonate and 2 to condition (minimum),that's 6 weeks, on 40 you're 2 weeks behind.
Based on this starting with a ready to drink stock of 80 you'd need to brew within 2 weeks to maintain a ready supply,plus a few to keep a bit longer as some take a bit longer.

FREE only need to pay postage. I've a number of 500ml beer bottles. Stopped making kit beer bout 6 months ago, couldn't get tang out of any brew. Only make wine. There are somewhere between 60-90.

Latest posts

Back