Adding oak sticks to cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavieW

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on the addition of some oak to a batch of fresh pressed apple juice.
Being a joiner, I have plenty of pieces of oak, mainly American white. I’ve also read about toasting the oak.
Should I add a stick to the must before fermentation or after, and what size or quantity.
Having not done any cider before, I’m keen for any advice, so I don’t screw up the taste of the batch.
Also my first batch, I added a mug of strong tea for added tannin. Would I not bother with that if I’m using oak.
And the final question is, when using oak is there any preference in the yeast. Ie champagne or cider
All advice appreciated

My advice, for what it's worth, is to just ferment the apple juice straight. Nothing added. Just use a proper cider yeast as it imparts fruity apple flavours. Beer yeast works but doesn't add any fruit flavours.

Interesting thought for a batch of turbo cider in future. I'd probably add some of those toasted oak chips that you can buy from home brew shops.

I am doing a batch with no additions and cider yeast. Doing 4 in total. 1 with no addition, 1with champagne yeast,1 with strong tea and 1 with oak. Just want to compare taste between them. I like Henry Weston vintage cider. So trying different variations to get close to that taste. It’s abv is about 8.4, so doing the last batch with added sugar.

Latest posts

Back