Additions to brew how would you do it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnyc

Reaction score
Hi guys I want to add
Dried lemon grass crushed
Dried kafir lime leaves
Fresh finger grated

How would you make sure they were sterilised they are going in after initial fermentation.

Steeped in boiling water for 5-10 minutes then into a voile or muslin bag weighted down with a stainless steel spoon (I don't think you'd need to grate the ginger, you could probably cut it into large pieces, also I believe a lot of flavour is in the skin so it may be better not to peel it as well?

Or boiled into a tea with water and added at initial fermentation maybe (after removing the solids of course)?

Is the grated finger an intentional or accidental by product :D

An accidental by product of not proof reading combined with fat fingers and touch screen

Vinnyc said:
An accidental by product of not proof reading combined with fat fingers and touch screen

Haha, I'm one of the worst for that.

What's your inspiration for the flavours, seems very thai inspired, have you tried something like it before?

It's an experimental beer to go with spicy foods such as Thai and Indian. I have seen a recipie in Greg Hughes book which uses this

I'd steep as advised above and then just add the chunks of veg and the steeped water to the primary fermenting bin as is.Let them bob around freely in the bin, they'll have a much better time of it.

When adding spices I always add Post ferment. You can easily over do spices and you won't have a gauge of how it will taste until it has femented out ie you know what the base flavour is.

I would sanitise the spices in a little boiling water then add to a muslin bag or hop sock weighted with a spoon and put it in the fermented beer. then every day take a sample to see how it is getting on. Once you have the desired tasted take it out. But as I said aire on the side of caution, its better to have a hint of flavour than a full on in your face shouting from the rooftops flavour which completely destroys your beer.

I made that mistake once with a spiced IPA, you only make it once. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back