How long will my beer last in kegs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry454

Reaction score
Hi everyone as some of you probably already know I’m very new to beer brewing having brewed wine for many of years.

I picked up some second hand kit including 4 x 19l corny kegs and some other bits. I’m in the process of converting a fridge now.

One thing I didn’t even think of is shelf life. I naturally assumed, like with wine that I would be able to brew up 4 kegs and leave them for 2 years if I wanted without consuming. But it appears that this isn’t the case.

Research that I’ve done so far seems to indicate that homebrew beer lasts for 6-8 weeks in a keg before spoiling.

Surely this can’t be the case? Doesn’t this mean once the keg is first tapped from that it will only last 6-8 weeks?

I mean I would be surprised that even after the keg is tapped that it would only last for such little time. After all the beer is free from oxygen which should hinder bacterial growth.

Has anyone successfully used wine making preservatives such as potassium sorbate or sodium metabisulfite? I will be force carding so I don’t care about naturally carbonating the kegs.

How does this work with kegging sparking wine? Would I be able to use a preservative and how long would it last in storage and once tapped please?

I’m in general looking for how long I can expect my kegs of beer and sparking wine to last before tapped and once tapped?

I do not go with that advice if so how do you lager a Lager which are kept for months before being ready to drink at their best.
I have kept many beers for several months and I had a porter in a keg for 2 years and have just recently finished it.
The only down side is that you may and only may find some of the hoppy beers lose a little hop flavour, I personally have only noticed this once and when people say beers spoil they do change in taste as they are maturing which some may take as spoiling and it is only maturation and flavour change/enhancement of the beer.
So IMO most beers will keep long enough to be drunk but 2 years is really only for stronger tasting or higher alcohol beers like Stouts and Porters etc

Depends on style, how good you are at hygiene and keeping 02 out.

As a rule darker stronger beers last longer that lighter more delicate beers. Pale ales peak then decline way way before then. Weeks to months.

I’m down to my last few bottles (a keg is a big bottle) of 2019 Xmas stout and it’s just as good if not better that it was in 2019.

Why 2 years, are you preparing for the zombie apocalypse?

Brewing it and drinking it is always an option.

I’ve regularly had kegs with beer in that’s around 12 month old and longer which is fine. Some have improved, some have lost a bit, but none have been ruined! if it’s properly sealed and purged with only co2/N then it’ll keep just as long as in a bottle, there are many ‘aged’ beers out there that are fantastic. Fair enough that darker higher Abv beers tend to improve more with age but sometimes an ipa that’s not hitting the spot will be much improved with a few months in the keg. Lager obviously needs ‘lagering’ so will keep for a long time.

as previously mentioned the best thing about kegs is getting a few mates round or having a party!

Nothing much to add , just to echo above feedback I have just finished the keg on a stout that was 388 days old and currently enjoying a lager that's 355 days old.

Kegged beers don't suddenly go off, it's a slow deterioration mainly caused by low level oxidation, but can also be accelerated by infection. Both are slowed down by keeping the beer cold. Most beers should last months, particularly if kept cold, some bigger beers can last years.

Highly hoppy beers are a bit of an exception - they don't last as long as others as the tasty hop compounds drop to the bottom of the keg and get sucked up first through the keg dip tube, so I find these are generally best drunk in 3 months or less.

So mainly take care when kegging to minimise oxidation (add CO2 to the headspace, or purge it entirely before filling. Fill gently to avoid splashing) and be completely anal about cleanliness and your beers will last a long time.

Back