Advice on silicon sealant / heat mat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1985

Reaction score
Hi there,

So myself and my friend are set up on a chest freezer for our fermentation chamber. In order to ensure the fv fits we need to stop using airlocks and create a blow off tube with siphon cable. Tube fits loosely in the whole so we want to seal it with silicon sealant. Has anyone got a recommendation?

We also want a heat mat for inside the chamber. Has anyone got any advice? Was thinking this to sit on the wooden shelf in the freezer under the fv? Flat can get down to about 8-10 in winter so want something good enough to get it up to 20 degrees. I know lamps are a good option but I'm not very technical so just want something I can feed a cable through the lid.

https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/flexible-heater-pad-30cm-diameter-p-1522.html?awid=gs&gclid=CjwKEAjws-LKBRDCk9v6_cnBgjISJAADkzXek3me_c83DZ1B1jDPKafyRmzyDU48o18eypnfvWaMMBoCFzPw_wcB

Hopefully this is the last technical question I have for a while!

Thanks in advance

Richard

Hi rich,

I would use food safe or aquarium silicone. For my fermentation fridge i used a water bed heat mat. I would not put it directly under the fermentation vessels, put it on the side to only heat up the air around the FV.

Cheers!

Gromit would be ideal but the tubing but doesn't fit in when I leave the gromit in.

..get the right size tubing! The thing is if you seal the tube to the lid with silicone you will have to strip it all out for cleaning and sanitising especially if you get a messy fermentation. What diameter is the hole?

build up a sealing wrap of good ol versitile fod and heatsafe ptfe tape round the tube to form an air tight bung you can seal the void with ;)

Alternativly forget it completelu and lay a sanitised bit of tin foil over the void ;) you cant hear an airlock/blow off tube in a fridge and as long as you leave the door closed it will be full of evacuated co2 ;)

Same bucket as mine...you can get tubing to fit that nice and tight...the same shop. ..homebrew online sell it or have to have a local hb store? The fit is tight I just wet it with sanitiser and gently twist it in..5/16;8mm inside diameter...

Clint was right! With the gromit it fits snug so no need for sealant! Freezer is ordered. Just need to decide on a heating device now...

Nice one! Just watch how far you push it through the lid as it can get bunged up with a very high krausen or vigorous fermentation like that from a stout or wheat beer.

I have been interested in distilling for a while and they never use silicone, rubber, plastic other than PTFE based.

There are concerns while, silicone is food safe the combination of heat and alcohol can leach out substance with can-be harmful long term.

This may no apply to what your doing in this case, but bear it in mind.

Thanks L

hello mate, just on a side note; i dont use a bubbler or blow off tube at all in my ferm fridge- my FV is a SS 35l (ish) pot and lid. I pitch the yeast (usually reused) and leave it untouched for 2 weeks before i look at it. Ive done many, many AG brews now and not had a problem at all......just saying:D

Latest posts

Back